Master brake cylinder always leaking...help!!!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
TonyE
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100

Master brake cylinder always leaking...help!!!

Post by TonyE »

Hey guys and gals. I have a 1983 gl1100 Aspencade and one day I noticed brake fluid linking from under the master cylinder on the handlebars. I wiped up the brake fluid and gave the banjo bolt a little snugging and left for a while. It still leaked. I ordered new crush washers off of Amazon and put them in and it's still leaking. I bite the bullet and ordered 2 Honda made crush washers exactly made for my bike for $15.00 and just put them in and yes it still leaks. I have tightened the bolt as much as I dare starting off light and then slowly adding more force every time I notice that it is still leaking. What else can I do? Do I have to replace the whole cylinder to get the leak to stop? Could it be the brake hose itself where the banjo bolt goes through? Let me know what you think and thanks for your help in advance:)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Master brake cylinder always leaking...help!!!

Post by WingAdmin »

I wonder if you have a crack somewhere? Use copious amounts of brake cleaner spray to clean up all the brake fluid on and around the master cylinder and reservoir, then see if you can see where it's coming from. If you have some flour or talcum powder, you can dust a little layer around things, it will make it much more apparent where the leak is coming from.

There is an O-ring on the plastic reservoir where it fits into the master cylinder, I've seen it deteriorate and leak, too.

Lastly, make sure the brake fluid isn't getting onto any plastic bodywork! Brake fluid on ABS plastic will destroy the plastic in very short order!
TonyE
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100

Re: Master brake cylinder always leaking...help!!!

Post by TonyE »

OK that sounds good. I shall try all of that and see how it goes. I will let you know and thanks for your help:)