1983 GL1100I "Coronawing"

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
shredjelly
Motorcycle: 1980 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate
1983 Honda Magna 750

1983 GL1100I "Coronawing"

Post by shredjelly »

Whats up guys, I reckon this is my first post here in the forum, though I've been doing a bit of lurking while researching and prepping for my GW build.

THE STORY: Last fall I was browsing the marketplace for a winter project, and I came across a 1980 Goldwing that a kid in town was selling. He originally got it for a project, lost interest, we all know the story. Anyways so the bike is in pieces. Motor is out, carbs off, all cooling plumbing removed, heads are off... Basically this bike had every nut and bolt removed down to a headless motor. Luckily, the parts were all expertly catalogued in boxes and coffee containers which made my life easy when reassembling (sarcasm). Anyways, the winter build ended up not happening, but I did order some parts and I did manage to get the heads back on and everything timed before my really long vacation started.

I also want to just throw this out and say that my "shop" is a medium sized shed that pretty much limits me to having ONLY the GW in right now. I also live in Maine and atm she can't decide if she wants to be 70, or about 40 with ridiculously high winds. It's great. I love it.

So I pulled my other bike out (1983 Honda Magna 750) after the ground dried up and got to working on the GW. This engine had not only sat on my work bench since I got the bike, it also BROKE one of the benches when I set it down. All in all, it took about two days to get the engine in, everything replumbed and wired, till I was able to start the bike. And she definitely was ready to fire after a few squirts of the boom juice. Naturally, me being a silly goose, never hooked the fuel pump on (I thought this was a tank-in pump till I realized it wasn't), never got the bike to idle...

Anyways, I got everything on. Hit starter. Idles. Revs. Smoked like a bahstahd... Still revved it. After a few minty mcmints the smokage subsided pretty well. Cue issue(s)-
1. Head has a crack in the oil return, meaning I get oil everywhere. No biggie, I'm buying a TIG welder to fix these kinds of things.
2. Missing ONE head fastener on the right side of the bike. Also throwing oil everywhere.
3. Timing covers also missing a fastener or two. I haven't really gotten to installing these because I have to pull the head off anyways.
4. Brake calipers seized. All 3 were left to dry, so after I went to fill and bleed, they stuck. This made the bike really hard to move. I'm 80% done with this after soaking them in the ultrasonic for a really, really, really long time. Basically, I didn't pull them out until the thermal fuse tripped. I'm waiting on new brake pads to come in before I finish that part.
5. Fairing bracket is MIA. I get that I can build my own, but I haven't gotten around to it. My uncle has an 83 Aspencade so I'm just going to try and replicate his bracket to get mine to near stock. It's pretty cool that Mr. Vetter still operates the website and supports his products.

All in all, everything seems to be running really, really well. The bike fired right up after I got everything connected. The clutch works, amazingly enough. All the plastics are in accounted for and in decent shape, although I plan to repaint due to weathering and clearcoat wear. I'll try to keep this updated as I make progress, but I'm looking at turning 3 bikes around before I get back to the Wing, since this one I plan to keep.

So I know you're all waiting for it... the pictures. I even did a video on some of the build, but my camera was dead or the camera work was crap for most of it.

[youtube]

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
[/YouTube]

PhotoDoctor
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Standard and several GL650s , few GL500s

Re: 1983 GL1100I "Coronawing"

Post by PhotoDoctor »

You will save yourself a lot of work if you find a fairing bracket to buy. There must be tons of them around - I've seen several go to the scrap yard as no one wanted them.

PhotoDoctor

Post by PhotoDoctor »

It looks like you have the tank cover from a Naked bike - is your fairing a Honda factory unit or Windjammer? I have a windjammer bracket ..... well pretty sure I do.

shredjelly
Motorcycle: 1980 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate
1983 Honda Magna 750

Post by shredjelly »

This one is a Windjammer, I believe vetter stopped making them around 84 because companies were just making their own.

Im definitely hoping to come across a bracket on eBay, but for now I'm moving the wing over to make way for an 80 CB750 I just got in to flip.

PhotoDoctor

Post by PhotoDoctor »

If you move forward and need a bracket for the windjammer let me know.