Project 83 gl1100

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Bryant31
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100

Project 83 gl1100

Post by Bryant31 »

New to the goldwings and just picked up an old ‘83 gl1100 that has been sitting For some years for pretty cheap. Just digging into it now here are some details and open to advice:
- starter was not installed and the sprocket that came with the bike is not correct so I have ordered a new one.
-most electronics work flawlessly.
-brakes are dried and frozen - I figure they either need a good cleaning or replaced
- needs some fork and shock work
-took the timing cover off and tried to move the crank shaft which surprisingly can turn all the way around but definitely has some sticking spots.
- removed the radiator, and flushed it which is surprisingly water tight.
-clutch works

Now to the bad and where I need some ideas. I didn’t want to turn the crank too much but it did turn but the when I put the bike in 5th gear, and put the back tire up, the wheel does not turn or hardly give at all. I’m not super familiar with shaft drives but wondering if it’s something in there or possibly just not oil around the case.

My current plan:
-put some magic mystery oil in the cylinders to sit for a few days
-get the starter installed.
-put some fresh oil in the case and try to turn it a bit by hand before trying to start it
- hook up a gas can to the fuel pump to circumvent the dirty gas tank for now
-press the vroom button and watch her come back to life.

If we’re still struggling I’ll probably take the heads off, valve adjustment, carb rebuild, etc.

This is a bigger project than I ever thought I would work on, so any advice or tips help. First 1100, first goldwing/flat 4, a lot of first so go easy on me.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: Project 83 gl1100

Post by julimike54 »

The timing belts should be changed if their age is unknown, especially if it's been setting for a while.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

PAPete
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200-A
1982 GL1100-I

Post by PAPete »

Wow! Lots of great links there.
Pete
82 GL1100-I
85 GL 1200-A

Bryant31

Post by Bryant31 »

Thank you! At some point I guarantee those links are going to save me some headache at some point.

My main concern right now is the stuck rear wheel. I would assume I should be able to spin it in 5th gear. Is this a problem with the drive shaft as I can free spin it with the clutch or in neutral or maybe some gearing I’m not familiar with?

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

It should spin in gear (5th gear easiest), but remember that you will be turning the engine doing this so the wheel won't just "spin", you have to overcome the compression doing this. Easier with sparkplugs out.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

Bryant31

Post by Bryant31 »

I’m going to try to put some fresh oil in and then change it to get some funk and possible rust out tomorrow and crank it by hand a few times and see if I can’t get things a little smoother. Hopefuly things are sliding a bit better before the starter gets here.

Bryant31

Post by Bryant31 »

Though I would provide an update and open to other suggestions.

The starter cog arrived and was a perfect fit. Needed a new battery to give enough juice to turn, and to top it all off with a little blast of starting fluid, she fired right up although won’t idle. It requires a pretty good amount of throttle to even continue running. No bad sounds except some misfires here and there and something is not firing correctly on cylinder 1 and 3 quite right, and some significant smoke which I assume is due to the oil that was put in the cylinders, but she’s alive.

My next adventure will be to check valve tolerance, clean out the fuel tank, test with some fresh gas and lines and then to take off the carbs and at a minimum clean up or rebuild depending on how they look.

Was able to get it to run for a minute and put it in gear and she rolls.

I haven’t been contributing much to this forum but I sure appreciate everyone’s contributions. This place has helped me out a lot already.

Bryant31

Post by Bryant31 »

Thanks to all this information on this forum, I got this beauty up and running minus a rear master brake leak that I think just needs an o-ring that didn’t come with my rebuild kit.

I took it out for a quick 5 minute run on a back road and the valve covers and intake manifolds got hot to the touch (second degree burn type of hot if left on for longer than a second or two).

I currently have the bags and pipes off to work on the rear suspension. Could that cause my carbs to not run quite right and heat up the intake and covers or do they really run that hot?

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Post by winguyjo »

intake runners and valve covers should not get that hot, with or without mufflers attached.
have you determined that the fan is kicking in then the temp gauge gets somewhere near the mid-point (assuming that the temp gauge works) ?
have you determined that the water pump is pumping ?
did you remove and clean the carbs ? clogged jets will cause a lean condition which will generate excess heat.

Bryant31

Post by Bryant31 »

winguyjo wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:34 pm
intake runners and valve covers should not get that hot, with or without mufflers attached.
have you determined that the fan is kicking in then the temp gauge gets somewhere near the mid-point (assuming that the temp gauge works) ?
have you determined that the water pump is pumping ?
did you remove and clean the carbs ? clogged jets will cause a lean condition which will generate excess heat.
Looking at the spark plugs after a warm up and about a 20 minute ride, all seem to be fairly good with exception of 1 that looked like it was running a bit rich.

The fan kicked on just fine and kept the Temp gauge at about the half way mark, maybe slightly over the entire time.

The coolant hoses were pretty hot as well so I’m thinking a new water pump might be a project I get after. I’m aware of just checking the water pump bearings and pump. Is there any other troubleshooting on the water pump you would suggest before ripping everything out?

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Post by winguyjo »

i am going to have to backtrack on my previous comment. just came back from a 45 minute ride, so the bike had a chance to get good and hot. it occurred to me to check how hot the intake runners and valve covers were, and they were MUCH hotter than i expected. i had never, ever checked this except when warming up an engine that had just been resurrected.
since my engine is, to my knowledge, quite healthy, i have to consider this normal unless i hear otherwise.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

winguyjo wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:02 pm
i am going to have to backtrack on my previous comment. just came back from a 45 minute ride, so the bike had a chance to get good and hot. it occurred to me to check how hot the intake runners and valve covers were, and they were MUCH hotter than i expected. i had never, ever checked this except when warming up an engine that had just been resurrected.
since my engine is, to my knowledge, quite healthy, i have to consider this normal unless i hear otherwise.
It's normal. It's a large displacement engine, and it makes a lot of heat. The valve covers get hot enough that it is uncomfortable to have my leg against them wearing jeans as well as ballistic nylon pants in between the cover and my leg.

Go by your temperature gauge - the cooling system on the 1100 is more than up to the task of removing heat even on the hottest day.

Bryant31

Post by Bryant31 »

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:29 am
winguyjo wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:02 pm
It's normal. It's a large displacement engine, and it makes a lot of heat. The valve covers get hot enough that it is uncomfortable to have my leg against them wearing jeans as well as ballistic nylon pants in between the cover and my leg.

Go by your temperature gauge - the cooling system on the 1100 is more than up to the task of removing heat even on the hottest day.
I should have clarified my bigger concern which is even the timing belt cover was extremely hot and I’d rather not melt through a timing belt on the road (or anywhere while the engine is running).

I was busy rebuilding suspension yesterday but will do a bit more digging today. I haven’t gotten it too warm with the radiator cap off and noticed that coolant was rising a bit but not much movement as far as I could tell. Could that possibly be the thermostat blocking flow? That seems to be my first logical step before draining everything and taking off covers and replacing all the gaskets and possibly replacing the water pump.

Thanks for all of your insights and help. This forum never fails.