Upgrading carbs

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Moosehead
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 base Wineberry

Upgrading carbs

Post by Moosehead »

I'm debating instead of rebuilding and synchronizing my carbs I should just just buy the single carb modification.

What are the pros and cons of doing this?

Will it decrease the value of my bike or increase it?

The part costs about $300. The gasket kit to rebuild costs about $130-$200.
Then I need to buy components to synchronize.

Money and time, and skill... all things I am limited on.

rasj81
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Naked

Re: Upgrading carbs

Post by rasj81 »

I thought about doing the single carb mod when I first got my GL1100, but after some research I decided not to because there was a lot of chatter about the single carb kits (the Holley in particular) not being a good match to the airflow requirements of the GL1100 motor. It seemed to be too much trouble than it was worth given the unknowns but today I'm glad I stuck with the stock carbs.

The 4-carb setup is not that difficult to work on, and rebuild kits are pretty inexpensive for them. Just take the time to understand them and their quirks - like the needle valve and float issues you might experience. There are plenty of videos of carb rebuilds on youtube, but just running some seafoam through them can be enough to bring them back to life after a seasonal lay-up. Take the time to sync them and they will work well for a lot less than the cost of a single carb mod kit.

These are classic machines now so I would think a buyer will want original parts or they would be buying something else entirely. For what it's worth, I passed-up a sweet deal on a 2008 GL1800 in favor of resurrecting my GL1100 after a 12 year lay-up and will be keeping it stock.

Moosehead
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 base Wineberry

Post by Moosehead »

After taking to several owners I have moved away from making the single carb modification. Even though I found some inexpensive mods (roughly $180 for stainless manifold and single barrel Volkswagon carb) the cost of the gaskets would be about the same price and I get custom tuning ability with greater torques at lower RPMs using the stock set up. I was deterred only because I don't know how to sync carbs and I don't own the equipment. But like most things, if I try it once I'll probably figure out its not as hard and scary as it seems.

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen »

I rebuilt my own stock carbs on a '80 GL1100 that had been stored about 15 yrs. No serious problems, and a huge success! It will take some time to be detailed oriented and patient as there are many, many very small orfices and passages. Get some chemicals, air compressor, and an assortment of fine wires (guitar string, or twist ties). I bench synch'd them. Meaning I carefully adjusted the carb-to-carb shaft adjusters to get all 4 butterfly valves exactly the same distance off the "closed" position using a fine wire as a feeler gauge. It's not hard to do with the carb rack on the bench. (Also static feed a temp gas supply via a 4 ft high hose to verify needle valve leakage at the same time... will save you a second remove/replace exercise) Any way, my bike ran so well at idle that I never got around to doing the full vacuum gauge synch procedure as I didn't feel any need for it. I am not denigrating the vacuum method, as that is the best and preferred method, and maybe I'll get around to do it myself… someday.
Research the many carb rebuild articles before you start.... very helpful for the first time rebuilder.

rasj81
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Naked

Post by rasj81 »

Awesome. WingAdmin posted a step-by-step on syncing carbs if you decide to figure it out.

Having a shop manual for these old bikes is priceless, so if you don't have one already they can be found for cheap online.

Good luck to you,