Rear Axle

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
wood65
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

Rear Axle

Post by wood65 »

I have a !983 Goldwing Interstate when I went to remove the rear wheel for a tire change I cant get the axel to move> I did take the nut off and the pinch bold out. The wheel is free to move the axel will not move nomatter how hard I Hammer on it. Any suggestions ????????????????????????

Good Hondog
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate
1978 GL1000

Re: Rear Axle

Post by Good Hondog »

Don't just hammer away on it without setting up a support first. You must brace the swingarm against something that can't move because the force from hammering will push the swingarm sideways. If the swingarm gets bent nothing will ever line up again during reassembly. It's also helpful if you pry open the pinch bolt gap gently, JUST A HAIR, to help loosen the grip on the axle.

wood65

Post by wood65 »

I have removed the pinch bolt and did use a small wedge to pop spread the it can get the penatrating oil into it so its not hanging up there also have put a rod through the hole on the left side and put pressure on it the axsel is still not moving . Have the swing arm braced. shop told me $200 to do it.

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid »

on the left side, the side the axle comes out, did you use a long screwdriver / bar inserted into the cross drilled hole and try to turn the axle? also is the caliper bracket able to rotate ( unbolt the strut rod ) ? trying to figure out where the axle is binding up. are the three nuts holding the drive to the swing arm loosened ? this might relieve some binding or at least determine if the axle is bound up in the drive unit. Best of luck !

wood65

Post by wood65 »

I did that the axle wont turn at all the wheel turns free right now I have pressure on the axle trying to turn have been soaking it with wd-40 and it still isn't moving in out or turning

indianakid

Post by indianakid »

OK.... So the axle is seized up in a stationary component. That can only be the caliper bracket or the drive unit. I would start with the caliper bracket. remove the caliper and the strut rod. the bracket should now be able to rotate around the axle. next remove the three nuts holding the drive to the swing arm (and with the axle nut removed). this will allow a little bit of shake in the drive unit. now try to rotate the axle and see if the drive unit moves with the axle. if it is locked up in the drive unit it is due to corrosion. i would install the 3 nuts tight and run the axle nut down till it is flush with the end of the axle. then apply as much torque as you can to the left side of the axle while lightly tapping on the nut side. these will be soft sharp taps (small hammer) to shock loose the corrosion and get the penetrating oil in to break it free.

wood65

Post by wood65 »

Thanks ill give that a try. About the only thing I haven't

indianakid

Post by indianakid »

just be careful when tapping on the axle nut not to dent your exhaust pipes !!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

If it's seized to one of the inner bearing races inside the drive, and you're whacking it really hard with a hammer to try to get it to move, then be prepared to replace those bearings as well.

indianakid

Post by indianakid »

The OP said the wheel turns and the axle does not. That rules out the inner race of the bearings. If it was seized on the inner race and the wheel turns so would the axle. since the axle does not turn it is seized to either / both the caliper bracket or the drive unit. That is why I suggested removing the brake torque strut and the 3 nuts holding the drive to the swing arm to try to narrow down where the problem is. And to deal with each one individually which may make it easier to break loose.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

indianakid wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:41 pm
The OP said the wheel turns and the axle does not. That rules out the inner race of the bearings. If it was seized on the inner race and the wheel turns so would the axle. since the axle does not turn it is seized to either / both the caliper bracket or the drive unit. That is why I suggested removing the brake torque strut and the 3 nuts holding the drive to the swing arm to try to narrow down where the problem is. And to deal with each one individually which may make it easier to break loose.
I didn't mean that the bearings themselves were seized, I meant that the axle was seized/corroded to the inner race of the bearings. That means the bearings will still function, the wheel will turn, but you wouldn't be able to remove the axle (easily) because the inner races are holding it in place. If that's the case, and you apply enough force to the axle, you could end up applying enough force to the bearings themselves to damage them.

wood65

Post by wood65 »

Its the brake bracket its stuck in with it loose the axle turns not have to wait till the rain stops to free it up thanks for the suggestions . I did order new bearings just in case it was that will be changing them anyways

nwkwinger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by nwkwinger »

I just did this on my 1983 GL1100. I was fortunate enough that the axle wasn't stuck at all and came out fairly easily. As much as I hate getting the stuff on my hands, I covered the whole axle in a good coating of anti seize. I will do this with the front one too. I highly recommend using either anti seize or grease on the axle when you reassemble it to prevent this in the future.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

nwkwinger wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:24 am
I just did this on my 1983 GL1100. I was fortunate enough that the axle wasn't stuck at all and came out fairly easily. As much as I hate getting the stuff on my hands, I covered the whole axle in a good coating of anti seize. I will do this with the front one too. I highly recommend using either anti seize or grease on the axle when you reassemble it to prevent this in the future.
I always put a thin sheen of general purpose grease on the axle during assembly for exactly this reason.