Timing degree cam?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
bvande
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda GL1100 Interstate

Timing degree cam?

Post by bvande »

Hey Everyone
I'm having issues with my gl1100 at about 60mph.
When I go to pass a semi, she goes flat, no life at all. I give it gas and she does nothing.
I have to back off on the gas slightly and ease into the gas slowly to get any speed.

I was talking to a couple of Wing guys and they told me that these wings. (1982 Aspy Inter) Did not have that much timing in them, and they came like that from the factory. They told me that there is some part that you can put on, inside the timing belt covers that can change the degree and get more timing out of it?
Was told that as soon as you install this "timing wheel" that I wouldn't have that problem anymore. Has anyone heard heard of this part? Is this even my problem?

I mean the problem is that it has no life when you snap the throttle after 60mph.

The carbs have been redone with rebuild kits and synced also, so I don't think that would be the issue. But I have been wrong before

Any and all help would be appreciated

Thank you
Bob

nwkwinger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: Timing degree cam?

Post by nwkwinger »

I could be wrong on this one, but these are a close tolerance engine. This means that there's not a lot of clearance between the valves and pistons. I don't believe that you would be able to get much cam timing adjustment out of one without your valves and pistons making contact.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

I suspect he's thinking of the 4 or 6 degree timing advance trigger wheels used to correct issues with the '88/'89 1500's. This is likely the "Part you can put inside the timing covers" that he's referring to.

But no such creature exists for the 1100. The ignition timing is not adjustable, It's only advance is Mechanical, which on mine kicks in at 2000 RPM, and the vacuum advance off carb #3. Any changes from spec on the valve timing (belt one cog advanced or retarded) and the engine performance will suffer. More than that and pistons will be kissing valves.

If the response goes flat at 60MPH I'd be looking back at the carb rebuild, likely the slides are not behaving as they should.

With the air filter out, get a little mirror-on-a-stick like the dentists use, and stick it down the air intake box so you can look into the throat of each carb. When you blip the throttle you should see movement in the slide. Check all four to see if they behave the same.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

bvande

Post by bvande »

The carbs have being out and gone over 3 tines. once by a Honda mechanic. So I don't know if it would be the carbs Has anyone else had this issue?

What can I try next.... Moving the belts a cog....would it be a fuel pressure thing ?

bvande

Post by bvande »

Yes that is what is mentioned the 4-6 timing advance.
Really wish I could figure this out.
It's such a nice bike and I don't want to get rid of it. If I could just get rid of this stumble at 60mph. It'd be worth keeping

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

You more than likely have a fuel delivery problem. What you describe is a classic lean carb condition. Not many folks out there anymore that I would trust to rebuild these carbs properly. What kits did they use, did they do the Accelerator pump, are the floats set correctly, did they replace jets with some aftermarket junk, are the carb slides operating smoothly and not hanging up. etc etc....Check fuel pump and fuel filter. Is gas cap venting? Possibly a vacuum leak. These carbs require precision cleaning and adjusting. This problem has nothing to do with carb sync. Good luck.

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Post by winguyjo »

what he said ...

when i overhaul a set of these carbs i now figure on THREE DAYS for removal, dis-assembly, inspection, cleaning ... yadda, yadda, yadda.
mind you i am an amateur, i work slowly, take LONG breaks, etc., but my point is that any shop, other than one that specializes in goldwing carbs, is going to be tempted to take shortcuts in quality of parts and workmanship on these things. fuel would be my prime suspect as well. have you tested fuel pump output ?

bvande

Post by bvande »

HI Wing Guy
I will be trying this tonight. Someone suggested the accelerator pump but that is not it. It was working fine
I took it this morning to work, and I can't get on the throttle at all. Without it hesitating and trying to catch up. Runs fine when cruising, but trying to get up to speed or trying to accelerate to merge into to traffic she just bogs until I let up on the throttle a bit and then kinda straightens herself out