Timing degree cam?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
bvande
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda GL1100 Interstate

Timing degree cam?

Post by bvande »

Hey Everyone
I'm having issues with my gl1100 at about 60mph.
When I go to pass a semi, she goes flat, no life at all. I give it gas and she does nothing.
I have to back off on the gas slightly and ease into the gas slowly to get any speed.

I was talking to a couple of Wing guys and they told me that these wings. (1982 Aspy Inter) Did not have that much timing in them, and they came like that from the factory. They told me that there is some part that you can put on, inside the timing belt covers that can change the degree and get more timing out of it?
Was told that as soon as you install this "timing wheel" that I wouldn't have that problem anymore. Has anyone heard heard of this part? Is this even my problem?

I mean the problem is that it has no life when you snap the throttle after 60mph.

The carbs have been redone with rebuild kits and synced also, so I don't think that would be the issue. But I have been wrong before

Any and all help would be appreciated

Thank you
Bob

nwkwinger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: Timing degree cam?

Post by nwkwinger »

I could be wrong on this one, but these are a close tolerance engine. This means that there's not a lot of clearance between the valves and pistons. I don't believe that you would be able to get much cam timing adjustment out of one without your valves and pistons making contact.
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

I suspect he's thinking of the 4 or 6 degree timing advance trigger wheels used to correct issues with the '88/'89 1500's. This is likely the "Part you can put inside the timing covers" that he's referring to.

But no such creature exists for the 1100. The ignition timing is not adjustable, It's only advance is Mechanical, which on mine kicks in at 2000 RPM, and the vacuum advance off carb #3. Any changes from spec on the valve timing (belt one cog advanced or retarded) and the engine performance will suffer. More than that and pistons will be kissing valves.

If the response goes flat at 60MPH I'd be looking back at the carb rebuild, likely the slides are not behaving as they should.

With the air filter out, get a little mirror-on-a-stick like the dentists use, and stick it down the air intake box so you can look into the throat of each carb. When you blip the throttle you should see movement in the slide. Check all four to see if they behave the same.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary numbers, and those that don't. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
bvande

Post by bvande »

The carbs have being out and gone over 3 tines. once by a Honda mechanic. So I don't know if it would be the carbs Has anyone else had this issue?

What can I try next.... Moving the belts a cog....would it be a fuel pressure thing ?
bvande

Post by bvande »

Yes that is what is mentioned the 4-6 timing advance.
Really wish I could figure this out.
It's such a nice bike and I don't want to get rid of it. If I could just get rid of this stumble at 60mph. It'd be worth keeping
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

You more than likely have a fuel delivery problem. What you describe is a classic lean carb condition. Not many folks out there anymore that I would trust to rebuild these carbs properly. What kits did they use, did they do the Accelerator pump, are the floats set correctly, did they replace jets with some aftermarket junk, are the carb slides operating smoothly and not hanging up. etc etc....Check fuel pump and fuel filter. Is gas cap venting? Possibly a vacuum leak. These carbs require precision cleaning and adjusting. This problem has nothing to do with carb sync. Good luck.
winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing7 : 1983 aspencade candy wineberry (?). current rider.

Post by winguyjo »

what he said ...

when i overhaul a set of these carbs i now figure on THREE DAYS for removal, dis-assembly, inspection, cleaning ... yadda, yadda, yadda.
mind you i am an amateur, i work slowly, take LONG breaks, etc., but my point is that any shop, other than one that specializes in goldwing carbs, is going to be tempted to take shortcuts in quality of parts and workmanship on these things. fuel would be my prime suspect as well. have you tested fuel pump output ?
bvande

Post by bvande »

HI Wing Guy
I will be trying this tonight. Someone suggested the accelerator pump but that is not it. It was working fine
I took it this morning to work, and I can't get on the throttle at all. Without it hesitating and trying to catch up. Runs fine when cruising, but trying to get up to speed or trying to accelerate to merge into to traffic she just bogs until I let up on the throttle a bit and then kinda straightens herself out
bvande

Re: Timing advance ?

Post by bvande »

Good morning everyone
I'm still having hesitation issue at the higher RPM range of the gear, and in every gear.
It starts out fine until I get to about 5000rpm range, then it will have no power and will not get any speed up until... I back of on the throttle a bit, then I slowly apply steady throttle and it speeds up a little bit, but just barley. I am currently using a full tank of gas for 100mph. Which I think it should get more. It's gettng very frustrating to see guys on YOU TUBE doing 90mph consistently with no problems. But yet I can't get my GL1100 past 60 without it stumbling on itself. I don't want to get rid of the bike because it is such a fantastic bike to ride. But I'm at my wits end. I included pics of the spark plugs, but to me they look fine.

Here is what I have tried so far:
Honda mechanic has had the carbs apart three times - everything is correct, jets etc.

, and everything is clean.
Sprayed contact cleaner around the engine to see if there was any vacuum leaks - no revving up at all
Checked the fuel pump and the pressure is where is needs to be

Any and ALL advice would be appreciated
joecoolsuncle
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

Post by joecoolsuncle »

honda, or any other motorcycle mafg, offered rebuild kits. you have aftermarket kits. that is the problem. the jetting numbers on most kits are not correct to size of oem. you are too lean on the mains. the guy that told you he is a mechanic is blowing smoke up your skirt. have a mechanic remove the junk kits, and return your carbs to oem.
btw, your plugs look perfect except the one that is oily. appears to be too much gap. although timing looks good, too much advance if anything.
problem is you found one of thousands of youtube warrior fake shops.
biguns
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Post by biguns »

joecoolsuncle wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:44 am honda, or any other motorcycle mafg, offered rebuild kits. you have aftermarket kits. that is the problem. the jetting numbers on most kits are not correct to size of oem. you are too lean on the mains. the guy that told you he is a mechanic is blowing smoke up your skirt. have a mechanic remove the junk kits, and return your carbs to oem.
btw, your plugs look perfect except the one that is oily. appears to be too much gap. although timing looks good, too much advance if anything.
problem is you found one of thousands of youtube warrior fake shops.
This guy gets it, even in the 70`s and 80`s finding mechanics to work on your Goldwing was difficult, you could go to the Honda dealer that had 1 Mechanic that knew Goldwing's who was backed up because other shops didn't want to work on them.
Lots of motorcycle mechanics but few Goldwing mechanics.
bvande

Post by bvande »

Thank you for the I do gentlemen I truely appreciate it.

How do I fix the timing advance. Honestly I M thinking that, that is the problem
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

First put a timing light on it and check it. It doesn't sound like a timing problem at all.
I would also say it's a fuel delivery problem. Check the fuel pump for volume and pressure. Or better yet put on a fuel pressure gauge and ride around. If the pressure goes away when you get on it, you found your problem, bad fuel pump. If the pressure stays good, then I would look to the float levels in the carbs.
biguns
Motorcycle: 1980 Interstate

Post by biguns »

Maybe they were talking about the vacuum advance module, it is at the back of the motor inside where the ignition PIP sensor lies, you can check it by sucking on or hooking a vacuum pump to the line to look for leaks(should hold vacuum), it is hooked up to number 3 carb, follow the line to where it is, or is it even there.
Check the line for cracks, or to see it is hooked up and not plugged off, check the carb also to see that it is creating vacuum.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

You can look at the timing advance, but honestly I agree with the others who have said that this is a classic lean fuel mixture issue. If you have aftermarket jets, you're almost guaranteed that this is going to be the cause. Of course look at other potential fuel delivery issues - pump, filter, fuel lines, etc. - do a fuel flow test. But if it's specific to a certain RPM under load, I'd be looking at carb jetting.