water in oil of newly acquired 82 1100 standard

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
whipit1k
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 standard

water in oil of newly acquired 82 1100 standard

Post by whipit1k »

So I do not know the history of this bike, seller stated that the bike was not "winterized" which obviously means he thinks there is freeze damage. I have looked at what I *think* are freeze plugs, located under the cyl. heads, and they are intact, do not appear to have bulged or moved at all... The water pump weep hole does not seem to leak, though there is oil in the cooling system

I am wondering if the braintrust here could point me in the most prudent direction to persue. I am thinking it may have a b adly blown head gasket? is there any other achilles heel to this engine? a weak point that would crack in a freeze situation?

I am likely to just pull the heads and have a look next, but welcome any advice prior to getting into it. thanks!

whipit1k

Re: water in oil of newly acquired 82 1100 standard

Post by whipit1k »

also, does anyone have any experience with the dirt cheap chinese head gaskets on ebay? are they even worth the $15 ?

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Post by winguyjo »

if it has been sitting unused for years it's quite possible that condensation has built up to the point where it appears to have a head gasket issue. my first move would be a compression check, but even there you can get some awful readings due to sticking rings. i think most, if not all of my 1000 and 1100 resurrections had bad compression readings on a cylinder or 2 and they all fixed themselves beautifully with very little run time. get a pair of gates t274 timing belts (no need to order honda belts) and do all the necessary stuff to get it running then see what you have.

i have never used aftermarket head gaskets but i have done enough reading here to stay well clear of them.

Earl43P
Motorcycle: 04 ST1300 DD
99 Valkyrie IS
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20
82 GL1100 SOLD 3/3/17

Post by Earl43P »

Get Honda or Vesra head gaskets, you get what you pay for.
I would pull both heads, clean off the carbon deposits on valves and head.
Lap the valves (grinding NOT recommended due to Stellite coating), inspect/measure the valve springs, replace the valve stem seals (rubber).

I'd be leery that the crank has sat in water and how did that WEAR its "bearings" that touch the now-rusty crank journals?
Once you pull the heads, turn the crank from the front pulley bolt or alternator bolt (tightening direction ONLY for that one) and see how smooth or rough it rotates. If it has some really "rough to turn" spots you may need another engine (or RUN IT until it dies of low oil pressure to the crank - it'll warn you that's coming with a hard low end knock at low rpms.). You won't likely FIND new crank journal bearings.

The water pump seals CAN leak water into the oil, but I would expect to ALSO see oil in the coolant in that case because oil pressure is higher psi than coolant pressure when it's running. Once shut off, coolant would migrate to oil due to high coolant pressure with NO oil pressure at shutdown.

If you are dead set on cheap HG's AT LEAST spray Copper-Coat
https://www.amazon.com/401612-Copper-Co ... B000M8NZ8E
to give them a better chance of sealing imperfections (that you should have "levelled" out on those head and case surfaces with 400 grit on a pane of glass).

I'd advise pulling each valve and thoroughly cleaning off the carbon from the stems. I've found them "sticky" in the valve guides before.

I'd pull the left head first because water could have pooled on the sidestand side bores. That'll give you an idea whether the engine will ever run well or break piston rings and burn oil (like one of my 82's 3 engines did).
When all else fails, RTFM!

04 ST1300 Bought 3/4/17, Daily Driver sort of
99 Valkyrie Interstate, “Favorite”
82 GL1100 Sold 3/3/17 (miss that ticket getter)
93 GL1500I SOLD 3/29/20

whipit1k

Post by whipit1k »

OK Update. I put the radiator back on and filled it . (it was empty and disconnected as received) . Immediately water is dripping from a spot on the left head that someone had dremel'ed and filled with JB weld (always a nice sign LOL) as well as the JB welded thermostat housing. I guess the freeze damage is real?

I have had this bike running- the carbs were in good shape for a dusty old bike stored dry. It starts right up and idles fine.

At this point I am going to replace the left cylinder head, thermostat housing, gaskets etc and see what I get. I may well have more trouble, but this is a fun project, not a high pressure situation. The whole bike, a nice clean original appearing GL1100 standard, was only 300 bucks so it's hard to lose.

a whole junker just popped up in the classifieds too....200 bucks OBO. sounds like my parts donor to be

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Post by winguyjo »

get that parts bike and you are off to the races.
yes, fun project and an awesome bike awaits you when done.

wren337
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Post by wren337 »

whipit1k wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:34 pm
OK Update. I put the radiator back on and filled it . (it was empty and disconnected as received) . Immediately water is dripping from a spot on the left head that someone had dremel'ed and filled with JB weld (always a nice sign LOL) as well as the JB welded thermostat housing. I guess the freeze damage is real?

I have had this bike running- the carbs were in good shape for a dusty old bike stored dry. It starts right up and idles fine.

At this point I am going to replace the left cylinder head, thermostat housing, gaskets etc and see what I get. I may well have more trouble, but this is a fun project, not a high pressure situation. The whole bike, a nice clean original appearing GL1100 standard, was only 300 bucks so it's hard to lose.

a whole junker just popped up in the classifieds too....200 bucks OBO. sounds like my parts donor to be
Who could say no to that for $300. Have fun.