Hot valve and timing belt covers

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Bryant31
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100

Hot valve and timing belt covers

Post by Bryant31 »

I’ve asked for some help on this with another thread, but thoughts someone here might be able to help out.

How hot can/are the valve covers and more importantly timing belt covers supposed to get? Mine seem to be getting extremely hot.

My temp gauge stays in a good range and the fan and thermostat are working properly. The water pump seems to be working fine. From everything I can think of the cooling system seems to be working fine but it just seems to be extraordinarily hot for a timing belt housing.

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Re: Hot valve and timing belt covers

Post by OldguyGlen »

Some general rules for metallic objects.
Touch or hold continuously = less than 105 deg F. (but you might call it hot)
Touch but you'll pull back within 5-10 secs = 130 deg.
Touch and you'll flinch back almost immediately = 150 deg.
Your coolant runs at 180 - 200, and parts of the engine are hotter than that. Timing and valve covers are clamped tight to the block, and everything is aluminum, a very good conductor of heat. So, something might feel hot, but only be 110 - 120 deg. Engine parts think those temps are cool, and it's only your hand that calls them hot.
If you can't trust your t'stat and fan and gauge, then work to fix those problems first. If the overflow tank isn't bubbling, your engine temp is probably ok.

Bryant31
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100

Re: Hot valve and timing belt covers

Post by Bryant31 »

OldguyGlen wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:27 pm
Some general rules for metallic objects.
Touch or hold continuously = less than 105 deg F. (but you might call it hot)
Touch but you'll pull back within 5-10 secs = 130 deg.
Touch and you'll flinch back almost immediately = 150 deg.
Your coolant runs at 180 - 200, and parts of the engine are hotter than that. Timing and valve covers are clamped tight to the block, and everything is aluminum, a very good conductor of heat. So, something might feel hot, but only be 110 - 120 deg. Engine parts think those temps are cool, and it's only your hand that calls them hot.
If you can't trust your t'stat and fan and gauge, then work to fix those problems first. If the overflow tank isn't bubbling, your engine temp is probably ok.
Thank you. I’m not super familiar with flat 4s on bikes and just didn’t want to melt through my timing belt. After going through the cooling system (tested thermostat, checked water pump, Tested fan, flushed radiator)I feel better about the heat but wanted to get other opinions.