broken center stand

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate

broken center stand

Post by Chewy »

as i was putting my wing up on the center stand for the night, it laid over to the right as i pulled it onto the center stand. i was dragged over onto the bike as i have always kept a strong grip on the grab bar being careful not to let it slam onto the stand. this in turn, twisted my wrist. enough about that though. i was able to get the bike upright and onto the sidestand, with the center stand folded up in riding position. what are my options for the center stand? i would rather have the center stand, especially for storage, but do i need it? what are the cons of simply cutting it off?

in the pic, you can see where the pipe is cracked, i assume from rust. the left side is damaged as well, but not as bad.
Attachments

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: broken center stand

Post by Rambozo »

Options?
The first three that come to mind are,
Remove it, replace it, or weld it.

bofler
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Post by bofler »

hard to tell from your photo what exactly is rusted and broken. if somehow it's the stand itself that broke, then I'd replace it. if it's the center stand tube that has rusted through and broken, well, then that leads to questions about the condition of the frame tube that it's attached to. judging by the rust i see on the pipe in the photo, i'm gonna guess that you have a big mess down in those parts. if the frame is similar to everything else, you're going to need to do something about that. i think there are some forum posts about people dealing with this.

if miraculously the rust infestation and damage is only on the center stand tube, then you could certainly grind it off and rely solely on the side stand. being able to have the bike up on the center stand is incredibly useful though, and personally i wouldn't want to go without it.

Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate

Post by Chewy »

i havent had a chance yet to cut the tube off and see the condition of the rest of the frame. if it is still in good shape, i intend on having a piece welded in to place to weld the center stand onto.