Gl100 hig rpm

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
JoeDallastx
Motorcycle: 1982 goldwing 1100

Gl100 hig rpm

Post by JoeDallastx »

Hello to ya'll, from Dallas tx
First time here, hope this is the righ page to post a question on my 82 gl1100
Bought this bike as a project, non running, did a paint job, cleaned tank, rebuild carbs, master cylinder and other stuff...put it back together and started almost immediatly...(i have rebuilded several carbs,including for a 1500)

The issue i have is that most of the time, when rev up, the rpms stayed high, 3,000...4,000 even....either if i ride it or if in neutral
So, before thinking about taking out carbs again, i make sure the retun mechanism to bring back the idle is not stuck, is not....

Next thing i did was to spray starter fluid on diffrent places to se if rpm went up on, and they did, right on the top of the plenum, where air filter and plasic assembly meet the plenum....so i thought i missed a gasket or a craked one...dont seems to be the case....what puzzles me the most, is that, when starter fulid is sprayed, the rpm go immediatly to 3 or 4k, no suprprise there, but it never goes down!!!.... in other experiences i had, i sprayed fluid on a suspected leak, engine rpm goes up, and then down, not in this case.

Any idea why is this happening?... i took out filter and whole filter assembly, so from the top, i can see the plenum... bike starts, and stays at 1000rp or so, but if i spray starter fluid directly in the plenum, happens exactly the situation stated above: rpm go up, and never comes down.....well, actually if i mess with the iddle screw i can make rpms go down, back to 1000, but if i do the same(spraying) it happens exactly the same, rpms very high and stays there

I will truly appreciate any advise, opinions about this problem....thank you in advance

Joe

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: Gl100 hig rpm

Post by dingdong »

Go to this site and read the possibilities. https://www.randakksblog.com/lazy-slow- ... high-idle/

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

Did you bench sync the carbs?
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

JoeDallastx

Post by JoeDallastx »

Hello....no i did not bench balanced them...shpuld i take them our and do it?
Thank you

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

In a nutshell the carbs still need some work. One or more of the throttle plates is opened larger through sync screw setting and not contributing to the running of the engine. There is not enough venturi vacuum in that carb when idling to pull fuel through the main jet until the spray is added. With the addition of the spray and for lack of a better term you are "jump starting" that/those cylinders into operation at another level of RPM when the venturi vacuum is able to draw fuel through main jet sustaining high RPM.

Always bench sync carbs for a level playing field of carb operation. With a bench sync done sync screws will need no more than a quarter turn to balance. More than a quarter turn the rack and/or engine still has problems.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

JoeDallastx

Post by JoeDallastx »

Thank you very much
I ll follow your advice
Havent had time to work on it