I think my swing arm was bent out, perhaps.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
bofler
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

I think my swing arm was bent out, perhaps.

Post by bofler »

I just realized that a previous owner might have bent out the left side of the swing arm while removing the axle (or doing something else, who knows). There's a gap between the swing arm and the outer spacer on the left side. I can't find any other reason as to why this gap exists on the axle. I've been riding the bike, and all seems well. Nothing has moved along the axle. The driveshaft holds the wheel in alignment as far as I can tell. I guess it's possible it could slide over, but it would take some hard lateral force and it would still only move a couple millimeters. On the left side, the only risk I can see is that maybe the brake caliper bracket (and the brake caliper) could move outward and then the brake pads would be rubbing on the rotor. That could be a problem.

Wouldn't it be ok if I just put a spacer or to in this gap to take up the space? I can't see how that would cause any problems considering that the drive shaft is holding everything else in alignment on the right side. But I would love to hear other thoughts. Thanks!
Attachments

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Re: I think my swing arm was bent out, perhaps.

Post by indianakid »

That is perfectly normal. The drive unit / wheel assembly are clamped up against a shoulder on the axle by the axle nut on the drive side. The shoulder is then clamped in the swing arm by the pinch bolt as shown in your picture.
Attachments