Five month long renewal of 1983 Aspencade

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Aspencade (parts bike)

Five month long renewal of 1983 Aspencade

Post by jeffcosmo »

What started as a starter clutch that just would not engage, ended with a major revamp of the electrical in addition to the necessary repair.
Since the starter clutch is an engine out job, I decided that this was the time that I would change everything that I had ever wanted to change/update.
Mechanically, new starter clutch, starter, clutch assy, timing belts and clutch cable.
Electrically saw a new radio, switches, wiring and lights. And a right h'bar switch from an English Gold WIng, with light switch (eBay score).
To wit: A BOSS marine radio unit was installed in place of the old unit, with new cover made of ABS. Four new speakers as well.
Heated seat and grip phase width modulators were made to fit in the same panel, along with two auxillary switches. An analogue clock now occupies the upper fairing dash unit. If you squint just right, the wings look like a Gold Wing's wings on the badge. All made to look integrated rather than added-on. And I made an LED third brake light for the H-D top box from an '84 Aspencade rear light unit. The H-D top box because it is huuuuuge, and it irritates H-D riders here in Wisconsin.
Pictures follow.
Attachments

New driving lights
New driving lights

Custom aluminium mount
Custom aluminium mount

"Aspencade" third brake light unit.
"Aspencade" third brake light unit.

Headlight switch
Headlight switch

Radio panel and accessory switches
Radio panel and accessory switches