Possible ignition or electrical problem.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Allmybikesarebroken
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Possible ignition or electrical problem.

Post by Allmybikesarebroken »

So somebody tried to steal my broken old ugly ‘80 gl1100. Not sure what they did, found the ignition a little more beat up than it was yesterday, and a screwdriver next to the bike along with some odd wires sitting on the ground that were not off my bike. Now the ignition has no effect when turned, no lights come on at all, starter button obviously does nothing. Battery is solid. All wiring looks solid. Replaces fuses, still nothing. Jumping the solenoid has no effect other than turning the starter. This is probably a simple thing that my angry brain can’t figure out at the moment. Any thoughts? I also can’t see a single thing wrong with the ignition itself as it is turning fine and correctly.

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Re: Possible ignition or electrical problem.

Post by winguyjo »

sounds like someone was getting ready to hot wire it. have you checked to see whether the connector was removed from the ignition switch ?

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid »

in you post you mentioned that fuses were replaced. did that replacement also include the 30 amp "Dog Bone" fuse ??? if that fuse were blown it would cause the symptoms you describe. Best of luck !

Allmybikesarebroken
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Post by Allmybikesarebroken »

indianakid wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:26 am
in you post you mentioned that fuses were replaced. did that replacement also include the 30 amp "Dog Bone" fuse ??? if that fuse were blown it would cause the symptoms you describe. Best of luck !

hey would you look at that, I haven’t ever taken a closer look at that fuse, almost forgot it was there. It’s blown so let’s see if I can get her going when I get another fuse. Thank you!