Sticky brake lever

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
elementfe
Motorcycle: 83 1100 Interstate

Sticky brake lever

Post by elementfe »

My break ped al lever is sticking just so that the brake light stays on, a pretty unsafe condition.
I really don't want to dig into it and try to take everything apart looking for the problem, has anyone trouble shot this issue before?

nwkwinger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: Sticky brake lever

Post by nwkwinger »

You most likely need to remove the pedal and clean up the inside of it and the pivot. Then lightly grease the pivot and slide the pedal back on. I just did this on my 1983 GL1100 and can't believe how easy it moves. I also swore that the next time I do this, I'm going to drill and tap it, then I'm going to install a grease zerk to make the job easier.

elementfe

Post by elementfe »

Thanks, sounds like the most likely thing... People often say it's a sticky master cylinder, but the brake is working perfectly.
I just hate taking apart one whole side of my bike, only to find it was something stupid simple.

nwkwinger
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Post by nwkwinger »

It's not the easiest thing to do, but at least it's free. My pedal was so stuck that I had to use some heat from a propane torch to get it to move enough to start coming off. Even disconnected from the master, I had to use a soft dead blow hammer to move the pedal down and I had to use a pry bar to move it back up.

bofler
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Post by bofler »

After sitting for a number of months this last winter, when I got the bike out in the spring the rear lever was sticking. I was able to unstick it, but the action was very "gummy". I removed and lubricated the pedal according to the DIY article here and it was much, much better. I also flushed the brake fluid and everything functioned great. Can easily do those things in a couple of hours and won't cost more than a bit of grease and brake fluid, and maybe a couple new cotter pins.

elementfe

Post by elementfe »

Thanks to all who responded.
I found out a couple things during the process, first that putting it on the center stand and reaching it across was a lot easier than trying to get under the bike, second that getting that cotter pin out is the worst part of the job.
I didn't have to disconnect the clutch linkage and take the pedal completely off, just moved it back an inch or so got some grease on it and it's wiggly as can be. Thanks for all the help and suggestions