'82 Aspencade. First ever project.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
John Galt
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

'82 Aspencade. First ever project.

Post by John Galt »

I've been riding since I was 20 and never really done more than an oil change. So here I am with my $500 1982 GL1100 Aspencade.
I've convinced myself (and the wife) this bike just needs some TLC, but after returning to this site for more than one question I've decided to register so you will all bare witness to my hubris. We'll see if this is the greatest comeback ever or a cautionary tale for the uninitiated grease monkey.

Not just a first project, but also my first time using a forum community. Let me know if I commit any site faux paws. I've seen opening a topic to update/catalog the project is pretty popular. If at any point you think this guy has no idea what he's talking about- well yes, I agree. I appreciate and welcome any insights.

I decided I'm taking her away from the touring roots she was built for and eventually have a modified standard. Swapping the air suspension for springs and removing the fairing, trunk, and saddlebags. It's parked in the garage, pulled all that away to have a good base, and now I'm getting brave enough to start looking at the state of the engine. Truth is, I jumped in with both feet and could find out the whole things salvage at any point. For the price, figured this would be a great introduction to finally getting a Goldwing and enjoy the journey.

I need to put a battery on this weekend. This site has already directed me to Randall's articles. I plan to follow his blog "Starting a Honda GL1000 after a Long Lay-up" as a good jumping off point. We'll see where we're sitting once the engine is running.
Attachments

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Re: '82 Aspencade. First ever project.

Post by winguyjo »

you have the right idea in following randakks "start-up" procedure.
enjoy your first project, you have picked a good one ... although we may be a touch biased here.