Caliper Lubricant

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
bofler
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Caliper Lubricant

Post by bofler »

Any recommendations for lubricant on the caliper pivot bolt and slider pin? I have some of the Permatex Ultra Synthetic Brake Parts Lubricant (green label on the tube), but have read some people saying that this will cause swelling on the rubber boots. Not sure if there is a better option.

Also, speaking of the rubber boots. WingAdmin, in the DIY section, says to use brake fluid as a lubricant. No grease or anything else?

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Re: Caliper Lubricant

Post by MikeB »

bofler wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:29 pm
Any recommendations for lubricant on the caliper pivot bolt and slider pin? I have some of the Permatex Ultra Synthetic Brake Parts Lubricant (green label on the tube), but have read some people saying that this will cause swelling on the rubber boots. Not sure if there is a better option.

Also, speaking of the rubber boots. WingAdmin, in the DIY section, says to use brake fluid as a lubricant. No grease or anything else?
He is referring to the boots for the pistons.

Permatex Ultra Synthetic Brake Parts Lubricant should be just fine for the pivot bolts and slider pins.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

johnny42
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate (original owner)
2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Post by johnny42 »

I've used Syl-Glyde in the past.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

bofler wrote:

I've been using exactly that brake lubricant for more than 10 years with excellent results and no degradation of any rubber parts.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24110-U ... ref=sr_1_2

And yes, the brake fluid is talking about a lubricant for inserting the pistons when rebuilding calipers - you want to lubricate both the pistons and the new seals inside the caliper. You do NOT want grease in there - brake fluid only.

bofler
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Post by bofler »

WingAdmin wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:53 pm
bofler wrote:

I've been using exactly that brake lubricant for more than 10 years with excellent results and no degradation of any rubber parts.

And yes, the brake fluid is talking about a lubricant for inserting the pistons when rebuilding calipers - you want to lubricate both the pistons and the new seals inside the caliper. You do NOT want grease in there - brake fluid only.
Ah, good to know. Guess I should be ok with the green Permatex I have then. Thanks!

Regarding the boots, I'm talking about what you see in the photo. For sure, the pistons and seals are gonna take brake fluid. But step #25 clearly says to put brake fluid on the pivot boots.
Attachments

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

bofler wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:02 am
WingAdmin wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:53 pm
bofler wrote:

Ah, good to know. Guess I should be ok with the green Permatex I have then. Thanks!

Regarding the boots, I'm talking about what you see in the photo. For sure, the pistons and seals are gonna take brake fluid. But step #25 clearly says to put brake fluid on the pivot boots.
That was done in 2009 on his GL1100.
In 2015 he did a rebuild of his GL1500 brake caliper. Maybe he re-thought the process and decided to use grease in stead of brake fluid. I know I would use grease and not brake fluid in this particular instance. Brake fluid should only be inside the caliper.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Ah I see what you're talking about. Here's the text:

25. Lubricate one of the new pivot boots with clean brake fluid and insert it. Lubricate the other pivot boot with clean brake fluid and put it on the pivot as shown. Lubricate the pivot with high temperature brake lubricant. Insert the second pivot boot into place.

I'm talking about the boot halves themselves, primarily the raised ridge in the boot. You have to get the boot to slip into the caliper and push that raised part into the groove inside the caliper. It's tough to do without lubricant, and brake fluid makes an excellent lube for this (without leaving behind sticky grease residue on the outside). Then the pivot gets lubricated with the brake lube grease (can't hurt to pack some inside of the boots at that point either) and pushed in through one boot and out the other. The pivot pushes the raised part of the boot into the groove in the caliper to prevent pushing the boot out of that groove.