Help with wire testing - headlight

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
johnny42
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate (original owner)
2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Help with wire testing - headlight

Post by johnny42 »

I'll do the research on my particular problem, but before that, how exactly are you guys testing your wiring?

My headlight isn't working. The wiring from the faring plug to the headlight is good. (The light works if I supply 12v to the white and blue pin wiring)
I've got no power at the frame side plug (white and blue) that connects to the faring plug. I removed and cleaned the starter button. I removed and cleaned the hi-low switch.

I know the "flow" of electricity from the battery to the headlight from reading posts here. So I think I know what wires to test.

But how exactly do I access the actual copper part of the wiring I need to test? Cut into the wiring bundle and pull out the wire I need, scrape a bit of insulation off, test, and then use electric tape to reinsulate the wire?

And, is there a way to actually test the starter button switch part that controls the dimming of the headlight, and the hi-low switch?

I have no experience or real knowledge of electric circuits, so please treat me as a dummy.

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Re: Help with wire testing - headlight

Post by winguyjo »

you can perform a continuity test with a multimeter. i prefer one with an audible "beep" so that you can focus on your probes rather than look at the meter.
probably better to search for it on youtube rather than have me explain it to you poorly. this test tells you whether or not you have a continuous pathway between the two points that you are probing. it is not a definitive test, as that pathway could be down to a single strand of copper, but it's a valuable tool nonetheless.

johnny42

Post by johnny42 »

I get 12 volts on the black/red wire going into the starter button. I get 12 volts on the blue/white wire going out of the starter button. Tomorrow I check to see if I'm getting 12 volts into the hi-low switch.

Is there any other test I should be doing on the starter button side? I haven't done this, but I think I should...... with the key on and the kill switch activated, press the starter button and see if it kills power to the blue/white wire (activating the dimming function). If it doesn't kill (or greatly reduce) the power, then what?

I'll be back once I do those tests tomorrow.

johnny42

Post by johnny42 »

I get 12v "in" at the hi-low switch and 12v out. I get 12v at the white and blue wires at the plug on the frame side by the faring. I get the headlight to light when I supply 12v to the white and blue wires at the plug on the faring side.

Should I be incorporating the green ground wire in any of these tests?

Currently, with my multimeter, I hold the red probe on the wire and the other probe on the frame. If there's something going on with the ground wire, how would I test it?

johnny42

Post by johnny42 »

Continuing my own thread is therapeutic.

It looks like the hi-low switch is the culprit. I get no voltage on the white wire going out. The copper contacts inside the sliding portion of the switch must be the problem. If I bridge the blue/white and white wires, I get 12v at the plug on the frame side of the faring. The contacts are not completing the circuit for the headlight.

I'll search for a remedy before I look for a replacement switch. If anyone has any ideas, you can save me time.

(I may copy and paste this into a new thread, depending on whether I can find anything)
Attachments

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1976 GL1000LTD
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr »

Sorry to sidetrack this thread, but how do you like your Himalayan? 😁

It might be a good idea to start a new thread in the Other Bikes section...
I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen:

johnny42

Post by johnny42 »

Oops. This is about my 1983 Goldwing. I thought it was understood since this is a Goldwing forum.

But, I really like my Himalayan. Completely different riding experience. I'm no longer concerned with crappy roads while riding the Himalayan. It's smoother than my Goldwing in that regard. I also find gravel roads and limited use seasonal roads to ride. It's fun and entertaining.

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1976 GL1000LTD
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr »

I realize this is a GW forum and that you/we are discussing your 1100. I just saw from your profile that you stated you had a Himalayan. There is a section on here that discusses members' other bikes. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen: