Caliper "Retainer" "Bracket" "Shim" Thingy...How necessary is it?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
bofler
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Caliper "Retainer" "Bracket" "Shim" Thingy...How necessary is it?

Post by bofler »

So, that little metal piece that fits onto the caliper bracket. I think it's officially called "retainer, bracket", or something like that. Part #12 in the diagram for the front caliper, and think they're the same for the other calipers. How necessary is this? Also, are there 2 for each caliper? I only see how one fits onto the bracket. Don't know where the second one would attach.

They were all missing from the brakes when I bought the bike. Discovered that as I've been rebuilding the whole system. I ordered some from Bike Bandit and don't think they're ever going to arrive. I'd like to put everything together and ride the bike. Is it going to be any kind of safety concern to not have them?

If I ever do get these parts I'll install them, but don't want the bike to sit for the rest of the summer waiting.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Caliper "Retainer" "Bracket" "Shim" Thingy...How necessary is it?

Post by WingAdmin »

bofler wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:05 am
So, that little metal piece that fits onto the caliper bracket. I think it's officially called "retainer, bracket", or something like that. Part #12 in the diagram for the front caliper, and think they're the same for the other calipers. How necessary is this? Also, are there 2 for each caliper? I only see how one fits onto the bracket. Don't know where the second one would attach.

They were all missing from the brakes when I bought the bike. Discovered that as I've been rebuilding the whole system. I ordered some from Bike Bandit and don't think they're ever going to arrive. I'd like to put everything together and ride the bike. Is it going to be any kind of safety concern to not have them?

If I ever do get these parts I'll install them, but don't want the bike to sit for the rest of the summer waiting.
They're necessary. The serve two purposes:

1. They're spring steel that hold the brake pads and keep them from vibrating

2. They provide a smooth surface for the brake pads to slide on. Otherwise, the pads will bind up on the calipers, and you'll end up with stuck pads worn on one end and unused on the other. Or worse, brakes stuck on that you can't release.

bofler

Post by bofler »

And each caliper has 2 of these? Or only 1? It's hard to tell from the parts diagram.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

bofler wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:23 pm
And each caliper has 2 of these? Or only 1? It's hard to tell from the parts diagram.
Two on each caliper. One on the top, one on the bottom.

bofler

Post by bofler »

WingAdmin wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:27 pm
bofler wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:23 pm
Two on each caliper. One on the top, one on the bottom.
Ok, maybe I'm crazy or I just can't see the obvious, but for the life of me I can't figure out where the second "retainer, bracket" goes. It's obvious that one fits into the caliper bracket. The second one, no idea.

If you can explain, or show, that would be amazing.