Advice needed for new wire harness swap out

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
johnny42
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate (original owner)
2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Advice needed for new wire harness swap out

Post by johnny42 »

I got a used left-hand switch module including the wires and need to remove the existing and install the new one. 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Going to tackle this tomorrow, but I hope folks here can advise me on anything to look out for, tips and tricks, warnings, things to avoid, and just general advice on how to do the swap.

I've never done anything this involved and could really use some advice and reassurance. Here's the bundle of joy....
Attachments

pocketchange
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Re: Advice needed for new wire harness swap out

Post by pocketchange »

Why did you decide to replace the switch assembly?
Did you have any thought of trouble shooting and repairing the OE piece.
Typically (IMO) replacing things with used equipment isn't that positive unless the OE piece is complete junk. :P

johnny42

Post by johnny42 »

I troubleshot the circuits based on searching this, other forums, google and Youtube and determined it was the switch that was shot. I got no hi or low beam. Since there is no way to replace just the switch (dimmer switch), I had to get the complete module with wires and all. I cleaned and filed/sanded the copper contacts but it made no difference.

pocketchange

Post by pocketchange »

If you have not replaced the harness/switch yet..?? Why not TRY to clean the old switch.
My switch was in the same condition (it would not turn off.) I disassembled and cleaned (CRC Contact Cleaner) and
lubed, now all is nominal and I know how to fix the switch when I turn 95 (right.)
BTW, check the DIY repair listing.. there are directions for this maintenance procedure. pc

johnny42

Post by johnny42 »

I removed and cleaned both starter and hi beam switches. I sanded the contacts as well. Could not get the lights to work. The new module I got on ebay also did not work. I've since decided to install a relay getting power from the battery per Wingadmins post. There's a newish thread on that.

pocketchange

Post by pocketchange »

Give the relay a check..
sounds like you are getting close to the issue. Good Luck pc

albinoredneck
Motorcycle: 1982 Gold Wing GL1100 Aspencade
1981 Yamaha Virago XV750(sold)
2009 Honda Rebel 250
2018 Suzuki SV650

Post by albinoredneck »

the starter button and kill switch is on the RIGHT side. the HORN button is on the LEFT, as well as the HI-LO switch for the headlight.
it's very rare that both the hi beam and low beam contacts go bad at the same time.. check your fuses, you head light, and the head light connections. may just be a bad 'hot wire' going to the switch itself.

johnny42

Post by johnny42 »

Unless there's intermittent failure, I've checked all the appropriate wires for continuity as well as put 12v through them. There's power up to the hi-low switch, but the switch won't complete the circuit to either the hi or low beam. I've cleaned, sanded, filed and scraped the contacts to no avail. Even an eBay replacement did not remedy it.

At this point it's kind of moot since I've already started the "bi-pass" fix. But I appreciate your interest in this.