Right front brake hose

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Nicewing
Motorcycle: 1983 gold wing gl1100i

Right front brake hose

Post by Nicewing »

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find a right front brake hose for my 1983 GL1100? I have seen a lot of them that say they have one but the pic shows a different one.

johnny42
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate (original owner)
2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Re: Right front brake hose

Post by johnny42 »

You could check out Galfer for a braided line. There are others as well. I have not heard of anyone being disappointed with the swap out from OEM to steel braided lines.

bofler
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Post by bofler »

I bought a set from Galfer for my 83. Haven't installed yet because I'm still waiting for "screw up replacements" to arrive. The lines they sent me for the rear and front right had the wrong female fitting on one end (the ends that fit into a bracket and connect to the metal lines). Seems their system was mixed up. Length is right, but the fittings were wrong. Their system should be ok now, but if you do actually order from them be sure to make sure they send you lines with the proper fittings. Bother them and make them send you a photo to confirm. Otherwise you could end up in a several weeks long process, like I've been in.

johnny42

Post by johnny42 »

would you be able to post a couple pictures? One of the "wrong" one and one of the correct one?

I just replaced mine and it is not like the one I had on my bike. But it worked and appears not to leak......at least not yet! If they sent me the wrong one, I may contact them. When I got theirs, I just assumed it was what I needed.

bofler

Post by bofler »

johnny42 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:20 pm
would you be able to post a couple pictures? One of the "wrong" one and one of the correct one?

I just replaced mine and it is not like the one I had on my bike. But it worked and appears not to leak......at least not yet! If they sent me the wrong one, I may contact them. When I got theirs, I just assumed it was what I needed.
1. Here's the side by side comparison of my old line with the wrong Galfer line they first sent me. You can see that the fitting doesn't have a groove in it, and the nut is actually too small.

2. This is the proper Galfer fitting. Both the front right and rear of an '83 should have a fitting like this that attaches to the metal line.
Attachments

bofler

Post by bofler »

And here's a side by side view of the wrong fitting (left) and the correct fitting (right).
Attachments

bofler

Post by bofler »

Wondering how many people might be out there with these lines with the wrong fittings. I noticed immediately that they weren't correct and contacted Galfer, but I bet a lot of people just went with what they got. The wrong ones will fit, but they aren't going to be very securely connected. The funny thing is, Galfer told me that I'm not the first person to tell them about this. Apparently, sometime before this, another '83 GL1100 rider got the same wrong lines and made them send him the correct ones. But Galfer failed to correct the information in their system, so they continued sending out the wrong ones. Hopefully now, after my incident, it's finally fixed in their system.

johnny42

Post by johnny42 »

The one on the left is what they sent me. Thanks for sharing. I'll get in touch with them.

bofler

Post by bofler »

No problem! Hope you get it sorted out. Maybe you'll get a free t-shirt out of it like I did.