1983 GL1100A lost power while starting and is now completely dead

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Goldwing2281
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A

1983 GL1100A lost power while starting and is now completely dead

Post by Goldwing2281 »

I just replaced the petcock, fuel filter, and fuel pump in my attempt to fix an issue involving the bike starting up but quickly dying unless I kept on throttling it.

After finishing swapping the parts out yesterday afternoon, I noticed that when trying to honk the horn, it would just make a clicking noise and the headlight would dim very low. This combined with the starting issues made me think the battery was almost dead, so I decided to hook up the charger and let the battery charge on the lowest setting overnight.

And that brings us to the current situation. While I was trying to start the bike it suddenly lost all power and now I don't have any juice. I checked the battery with a multimeter and it read 12.8v, and I even had it load tested to be sure and it tested fine. I also tried jump starting it to no results or changes. The leads of the charger were definitely attached correctly, too.

I checked the battery fuse, and there is a bit of a kink or bend in it, but it's not broken, so I believe it should be fine. I could be wrong though

Thoughts? I just ordered a new battery fuse to be sure but I doubt that's the issue here. I appreciate any help

Attached is an image of my battery fuse

Edit: have some new information. Upon reinstalling my battery after about an hour or so being removed, the bike had power again. However, as soon as I pressed the start button, there was a loud click/pop and then no more juice again.

I quickly disconnected and reconnected the battery cables, but it didn't make the power come back this time. I'm going to let it stay disconnected for about an hour again and see if it does the same thing.

Although this raises more questions, it at least proves the battery fuse is fine.
Attachments

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Re: 1983 GL1100A lost power while starting and is now completely dead

Post by OldguyGlen »

Basic electrical testing needed.
Test positive wiring: Black testmeter wire on negative batt post. Probe red testmeter wire at each side of fuse, each side of solenoid while attempting start.
Test negative wiring: Red meter on positive batt post. Black meter probe neg post, then bike frame.
My guess is bad ground connection to bike frame.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Also try wiggling the battery cables.

I would try removing that main fuse - it may look fine (actually it doesn't) but crumble in your fingers when it's removed. I'd replace it with a blade fuse holder and blade fuse, for reliability.

Goldwing2281
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A

1983 GL1100A shorting out. Starter? Bad ground?

Post by Goldwing2281 »

The battery is fully charged, and the solenoid and dogbone fuse have been replaced. The connection from battery to solenoid has also been replaced.

I'm still new to all of this and I'm learning as I go, but I do feel confident in deducing that the issue is either the starter itself or a bad ground or other connection. I just don't know how to actually test my theories and confirm or disprove.

The bike will turn on and the lights and horn will function fine, but as soon as I hit the starter button it immediately shorts out and loses all power. It doesn't even try to start. I'll hit the button, hear a click, and it's dead. I have to disconnect the battery, let it sit for a bit, and then reconnect to restore power.

Any ideas or suggestions for how I should proceed? All help and advice is greatly appreciated

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: 1983 GL1100A shorting out. Starter? Bad ground?

Post by Rambozo »

Sounds like a dirty connection. Pull out a volt meter and get to tracing.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Could be the starter is in need of a rebuild. The carbon from the brushes gunks up the workings. You could jump directly to the starter (disconnect wiring to eliminate bike wiring) to see if it is the bike wiring or the starter as the problem.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

Goldwing2281 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:01 pm
The battery is fully charged, and the solenoid and dogbone fuse have been replaced. The connection from battery to solenoid has also been replaced.

I'm still new to all of this and I'm learning as I go, but I do feel confident in deducing that the issue is either the starter itself or a bad ground or other connection. I just don't know how to actually test my theories and confirm or disprove.

The bike will turn on and the lights and horn will function fine, but as soon as I hit the starter button it immediately shorts out and loses all power. It doesn't even try to start. I'll hit the button, hear a click, and it's dead. I have to disconnect the battery, let it sit for a bit, and then reconnect to restore power.

Any ideas or suggestions for how I should proceed? All help and advice is greatly appreciated
Welcome to the forum and the wing.

Where it "goes click, and it's dead", look to an internal short in the battery first. You need to do a load test on the battery. Take the battery to an Autozone(free battery check) and have them do a load test on it. Bike shops should be able to do it too.
If your battery passes the load test then look to loose connections. Too long of a battery bolt could have been installed and doesn't allow full tightening of the battery strap and can loose connection hitting the starter(high draw on the battery). Determine where the click is at and reply back.
Do you have a volt meter mounted on the bike(always a good thing to add if you don't) or a multimeter to check voltage? What are the volts at the battery before you hit the starter, during hitting the starter and after it clicks?

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between

Past rides

Post by newday777 »

WingAdmin wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:12 pm
Also try wiggling the battery cables.

I would try removing that main fuse - it may look fine (actually it doesn't) but crumble in your fingers when it's removed. I'd replace it with a blade fuse holder and blade fuse, for reliability.

Scott
Does he have his email notification on? He just started another post on this and I just noticed this thread, continued of the same problem of his in this thread.

newday777

Past rides

Post by newday777 »

Goldwing2281
Do you have your notification set on? I checked your other post and see you didn't reply back on that post. You need to reply back your findings otherwise you leave a thread hanging unfinished and this really should have been added to your original post rather than starting a new topic so all can read through to help in giving a helpful reply without asking the same questions over again....