How to get more clearance between left front rotor and caliper mount?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
bofler
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

How to get more clearance between left front rotor and caliper mount?

Post by bofler »

I'm having an issue with not having enough clearance between the outside of the rotor and the left front caliper mount. The minimum is supposed to be .7mm and I am close, but would like to have a bit more room. The manual says to push the fork tube out if you need more clearance, but is that even possible on the left side. The threaded axle sleeve pretty much locks the fork into place. The only way I can think of to get more clearance is loosen the sleeve so that it pulls the fork out as it unthreads along the axle. But then you don't have any torque on the sleeve. Any solutions?

johnny42
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate (original owner)
2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Re: How to get more clearance between left front rotor and caliper mount?

Post by johnny42 »

I recently replaced my tires and installed the front wheel knowing I had to have that clearance. I read the DIY and, like you, read where you're supposed to push/pull the forks but when you tighten the axle, you lose that clearance.

How I solved the issue was to just make sure the wheel spun freely. That's the best I could do.

If there's a better solution out there, please share.

bofler

Post by bofler »

The right side can move a few millimeters with a bit of muscling, but I can't think of any way that the left side could be adjusted. I'm not too far off from the spec, but would like to get it in the best condition I can considering how much cash I've just put into rebuilding the whole brake system.

bruce swaybill
Motorcycle: .
1983 honda gl1100i interstate
2009 triumph bonneville t100

Post by bruce swaybill »

I wouldn’t push too hard. I’ve never pushed and never had a problem because the calipers float on those shoulder bolts you should have lubed before mounting the calipers. Before mounting you should spread the pads apart. Once mounted and before pulling the lever you should be able to slide the caliper left and right. If not something is bound up. If yes, you can pull the brake lever a few times the pistons will extend and the pad contact will center the calipers and should provide clearance when released to allow the wheel to spin free without much of a drag sound.
Good luck!👍
Bruce S.
Have a nice day! :)

bofler

Post by bofler »

bruce swaybill wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:47 pm
I wouldn’t push too hard. I’ve never pushed and never had a problem because the calipers float on those shoulder bolts you should have lubed before mounting the calipers. Before mounting you should spread the pads apart. Once mounted and before pulling the lever you should be able to slide the caliper left and right. If not something is bound up. If yes, you can pull the brake lever a few times the pistons will extend and the pad contact will center the calipers and should provide clearance when released to allow the wheel to spin free without much of a drag sound.
Good luck!👍
Bruce S.
hey bruce...well, i'm talking about the caliper mount. yeah, the caliper itself should float into position, but the mount doesn't move. the rotor runs through a narrow channel on the mount and the honda specified minimum clearance is 0.7mm on both sides. if the mount drags on the rotor it will mess it up pretty badly.

bruce swaybill

Post by bruce swaybill »

What year is you bike?
Pictures may help.
Bruce S.

johnny42

Post by johnny42 »

Our bikes are 1983 Goldwing Interstates

bofler

Post by bofler »

i have an '83, but i think it's the same for all years. the left side of the axle has a threaded sleeve (torqued to 42 ft/lbs) that the fork slides into. the fork can't move at all on that side because it's locked in by the shoulders on this sleeve. the right side, however, doesn't have this, so you can (with a good amount of pushing or pulling) move the fork a tiny bit along the axle. you can see the clearance between rotor and caliper mount i'm talking about in this photo from the front wheel installation how-to.
Attachments

bofler

Post by bofler »

my rotor is a tiny bit warped and so that's why i'm trying to see if more clearance is possible. the rotor needs to be replaced, i know. but to this point i've only put a few hundred miles on the bike, and the dollars put into the bike are way exceeding the miles after completely redoing the brake system. i need to put some more miles on the bike before i know it's worth dropping money on new rotors (the rear probably needs to be replaced as well).

bruce swaybill

Post by bruce swaybill »

So the ‘bracket’ you mentioned is the the TRAC system swing arm that the caliper mounts to, correct?
And it looks like this?:

I ask because your picture does not look like an 83...

And you have mounted the bracket first then the caliper, right?

Have you checked to see that the forks are straight and parallel?

Is it the bracket or the screws that are close to the disk? I had to grind one screw a little shorter to add clearance once.

Oh, I think you have it backwards: finish the job now, get new rotors and you won’t have to worry the front brakes for years. Don’t fudge it now so the bike has to ‘pay’ in miles for more TLC. You may not be happy the result if you fudge it.

Just thinking out loud....
Last edited by bruce swaybill on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bofler

Post by bofler »

bruce swaybill wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:35 pm
So the ‘bracket’ you mentioned is the the TRAC system swing arm that the caliper mounts to, correct?
And it looks like this?:

79530F2A-B9C4-4F9C-8057-52C7BC9C4BD8.jpeg

And you have mounted the bracket first then the caliper, right?

Have you checked to see that the forks are straight and parallel?

Is it the bracket or the screws that are close to the disk? I had to grind one screw a little shorter to add clearance once.

Just thinking out load....
yeah, i guess you could also refer to it as the trac swing arm, seeing as it it is integrated with the trac system. this is the only place that could rub with the rotor, apart from the brake pads, assuming everything is installed properly. the manual talks about this. the manual says to push the forks in or out to get the proper clearance. i'm just not sure that this is actually possible on the left side.

bracket mounted first, then caliper. i've done the best i could to make sure the forks are straight in the triple. no screws involved in this issue.

i think i will be fine. it's not rubbing, but seeing as my rotor is slightly warped, i am getting moments where there isn't enough clearance (0.7mm, as specified by the manual). i'll roll with it. if the rotor gets destroyed, no big deal because it needs to be replaced anyway.

johnny42

Post by johnny42 »

I've seen folks decide to just keep their pitted rotors and just keep replacing pads. Those folks say rotors for old bikes are hard to get and very expensive, so they just replace pads as needed. Warped? That might be a different story.

bofler

Post by bofler »

johnny42 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:20 pm
I've seen folks decide to just keep their pitted rotors and just keep replacing pads. Those folks say rotors for old bikes are hard to get and very expensive, so they just replace pads as needed. Warped? That might be a different story.
let's see how they function after i'm finished rebuilding. it's only the front left that is a bit warped. not sure if it already was when i got the bike, but i noticed now as i have been rebuilding the brakes. the rear is probably a bit thin (haven't measured) and its got some grooves in it. there are replacement ebc rotors for around 200 dollars each. but for the moment i will replace the 25 dollar brake pads earlier than they should be replaced rather than dropping several hundred dollars on rotors for a bike that hasn't seen more than 200 miles under my command.