Bypassing the hi-low headlight switch per Wingadmin

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
johnny42
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate (original owner)
2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Bypassing the hi-low headlight switch per Wingadmin

Post by johnny42 »

I bought a new LH hi-low headlight switch module off eBay but I still get no headlights. Research showed Wingadmin posted a fix using a relay and bypassing the switch in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30207&p=174811&hili ... am#p174811

I'm hoping he or someone else might answer a question or 2. I've posted his diagrams as a reference.

He mentioned doing this fix would leave the headlight on "always". With my limited knowledge reading his diagram, I don't see a way to turn the headlight off. If the lights are hardwired to the battery, will they remain on even if the ignition switch is turned off? If there needs to be a switch to turn them off, where would I install that within the wiring diagram? If I need to tap into a difference source than directly to the battery, what source should I use?

In his hand sketch at the bottom "Original Switch", he shows 3 lines. The high beam goes into the relay, but what are the other lines for? He's got some sort of symbols next to them. What are they and what do they mean?

In his colored diagram, he's got a black wire "to existing wiring harness", but it also goes to the relay. Can I just find another ground for the relay or does it need to tie into the harness? The diagram shows the green wire, "to high beam switch". This is where I need help.

Where exactly/specifically do I make the splice for the wire for the high beam switch? Up at the switch? Somewhere else?

Also, if this thread gets answered, it might be a good thread to post in the DIY section.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Bypassing the hi-low headlight switch per Wingadmin

Post by WingAdmin »

You're correct - when I drew that diagram, I didn't mean "wire the headlight directly to the battery." The battery and fuse in that diagram are supposed to represent the EXISTING headlight fuse, which is a switched circuit.

The point behind the diagram was to have the high/low switch switching low current that actuates a relay coil, instead of running the full current for the headlight through that switch (which is what arcs and pits the switch).

johnny42

Post by johnny42 »

Thanks for speedy reply Wingadmin. The green wire from the relay that goes to the high beam switch.....is that the blue/white wire coming from the start switch? If so, all my questions have been answered.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

johnny42 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:44 pm
Thanks for speedy reply Wingadmin. The green wire from the relay that goes to the high beam switch.....is that the blue/white wire coming from the start switch? If so, all my questions have been answered.
No, the wire shown as green in that diagram will be going to the output of the high-beam side of the dimmer switch. On my GL1100 wiring diagram, that wire is shown as solid blue. The blue/white wire is the common wire used as the switched power for the headlight. It is also connected to the start button, so that the headlight is switched off when the starter is pressed.

The blue/white wire carries power to the headlight dimmer switch. When the switch is set to low beam, it connects that blue/white wire to the white wire, supplying power to the low beam filament. When you switch to high beams, it connects the blue/white wire to the blue wire, which supplies power to the high beam filament.

That blue wire is what you want to connect your relay to, so when you switch to high beams, the relay is actuated.

johnny42

Post by johnny42 »

Thanks again! I feel confident enough now to tackle this.

johnny42

Post by johnny42 »

I'm starting to work on this. Connecting things per the diagram only gives me one beam. My hi-low switch doesn't work so there's no way to shut the power off to the relay as the blue wire is always live. Sliding the switch doesn't do anything.

I need to introduce power to the 86 tab. I'm thinking of tapping off the tail light or other light but running it through an "on-off" switch. When I want high beam, I turn the switch on, introducing power to 85 which toggles the connection to the high beam wire. But I don't like the idea of having the beam on while starting the bike. I need a way to turn the light off while starting.

My other idea was to build a new circuit from scratch. I would use an on-off-on marine grade rocker switch. One "on" would be low beam, the other "on" would be high beam. I would use off when starting the bike. I would use a relay to get power to the headlamp. But that's just my idea. I do not know how exactly to wire this up and where and how to use a relay or whether I need a second relay. i would need to provide a power source to the switch. This on-off-on rocker switch would power the relays. I don't think I could run this rocker switch with raw power, thus the relays. If someone could draw up a diagram, I would be eternally grateful.

I'm going to start a new thread in hopes that there's at least one electrical wiz out there that can show his stuff.