Bleed Brakes

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
msgoodwrench
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Honda Aspencade
1982 XJ550J Yamaha Maxim

Bleed Brakes

Post by msgoodwrench »

Hello! I have a 1983 GL1100A, I have rebuilt the rear master cylinder and the rear brake caliper, and put new SS line in the back. I am trying to put fluid into the back, just to get it filled before I start the real bleeding scene (which starts with the right front,correct?). When I filled the rear reservoir, the fluid gurgled down so far and stopped. Okay, tried to suck fluid back thru from the bleeder with my MityVac; no change in level. Tried to suck fluid back with a big syringe, no deal. Tried to PUSH fluid in with the syringe and it just built up back pressure. Is there something else I should be doing to get this started? It seems like there is a block there somewhere. I would like to at least get that back line filled before starting to get air bubbles out from any place. Thank you for your time and suggestions. I used the ADMIN great step by step guide to do the rebuilding once I finally got parts!

Lucky07
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1984 CB550SC (Sold it :( )

Re: Bleed Brakes

Post by Lucky07 »

Is the bleeder clean? It should pull fluid through pretty easy if you put that bleeder under vacuum.

I just changed all my brake lines and had to prime a pretty much completely empty system. I borrowed a big syringe fluid transfer thingyamajig from my neighbor and pulled 3-4 reservoirs full from the front and back to get things started then bled the old fashioned way after. it worked like a charm.

msgoodwrench
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Honda Aspencade
1982 XJ550J Yamaha Maxim

Re: Bleed Brakes

Post by msgoodwrench »

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, the bleeder was all cleaned out, in fact, a new one. I undid the back brake line again to make sure it was open (a new SS line, but I was just checking). It was open, but I left the line open there. Pulled the line off of the master cylinder again. Then, my dad came over so 2 of us could tackle it. Basically we found that you need to kinda 'bleed' the master cylinder first; put finger over outlet, pump lever a couple times, lift finger. It only took a few pumps and fluid shot out pretty full; it was more of just a small spit of fluid blowing out before. Ok, so master cylinder good. I could not get any of the lines loose at the proportioning valve, but when the pedal was pushed, there was a definite pressure at that back brake line. So once we got that master cylinder pushing a full stream of fluid it was pretty much just him pushing the pedal and filling the reservoir, and me cracking the bleeder open and closed after reinstalling the brake line and banjo fitting. It was slow at first, but then I went to the front right and bled that - a lot of air naturally, then pretty good. Back to the back and it was pushing more fluid it seems with each stroke than before. Back and forth between front and back, until bubbles gone and pressure built on pedal. Seems good to try it out now. I need to get the rest of the bike back together now and try it. I thought I could try some tricks and do it myself, but the MityVac and the syringe trick didn't get it done for me for some reason. Just took a dad and some time!! I do thank you for your comments. Have a great day!