fuel and timing issues??

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
TheFalcro
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GoldWing GL1100 40k miles newest addition to the barn runs but needs love, 1986 Kawasaki Voyager 1300A 34k miles Absolute basket case but it's all there, 2005 Suzuki S50 Boulevard (VT800) 2k miles this is my current rider, rescued from a dusty garage and gummed up carbs ...... carbs rebuilt..... runs like a clock

fuel and timing issues??

Post by TheFalcro »

I did a test start on the 1981 GL1100 today, she fired up and ran but I noticed she was leaking fuel so immediately shut her off. I have ordered new fuel hose, clamps and filter, which will be here Tuesday. I could not see the source of the fuel leak directly. So I decided to change the filter and fuel lines simply becasue the lines apperar to be factory and the fuel filter is a little dirty but not clogged. The new hose and clamps will eliminate the possibility of a cracked fuel line or faulty clamp. I am also going to remove the old fuel and replace it with fresh. I am hoping to find non ethanot but i think all fuel in Oregon contains ethanol unless you buy trick racing fuel or av gas. Those fuels are not in the buget.... ever. Since she will be down for a couple days I decided to pull the plugs and see what story they could tell me. #1 and #3 are nice, light tan on the electrode and dry but #2 and #4 were still wet with fuel when I pulled them. This was many hours (4 ish) after I ran her. Could this be a fuel delivery problem perhaps a stuck float in one or both carbs for cylinders 3 and 4? I was still running full choke and the scooter didn't run for more than 3 minutes.

I am going to be checking the timing and have the radiator and belt covers off. This is my first time getting into one of these scooters and she is new to me. Does the sight plug for the timing just unscrew and then I can see the marks in there? During my visual and touchy feely inspection of the timing belts it appears that the right side (as sitting on the scooter) is slightly more loose than the left, is this normal or does in indicate a potential problem. The difference is very slight maybe just a mm or two. Thank you for any insight and advise you can offer on these issues.

Life is not a journey to the grave arriving in a well preserved and perfect body, but rather to skid in sideways,used up, in a cloud of smoke, totally worn out, and screaming what a ride! (H.S. Thompson) Remember to keep the shiny side on top.

TheFalcro
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GoldWing GL1100 40k miles newest addition to the barn runs but needs love, 1986 Kawasaki Voyager 1300A 34k miles Absolute basket case but it's all there, 2005 Suzuki S50 Boulevard (VT800) 2k miles this is my current rider, rescued from a dusty garage and gummed up carbs ...... carbs rebuilt..... runs like a clock

Re: fuel and timing issues??

Post by TheFalcro »

Here are pics of the plugs and the carbs for those that might want to see what I am seeing

plugs 2 and 4
plugs 2 and 4

carbs 1 and 3 from the top note how clean they are
carbs 1 and 3 from the top note how clean they are

inside the center of the intake  there was fuel puddled in this area
inside the center of the intake there was fuel puddled in this area

The pics speak for themselves but I am beginning to feel that I need to rebuild these carbs I will be replacing the plugs on general principle and I will clean the old and keep in the scooter for spares. I hope this helps. in the first pic plug 2 is on the inside in the crook of my hand in the second plug picture cylinder 1 is on the inside in the crook of my hand
Attachments

plugs 1 and 3
plugs 1 and 3

carbs 2 and 4 from the top note how oily and dirty they look
carbs 2 and 4 from the top note how oily and dirty they look

Life is not a journey to the grave arriving in a well preserved and perfect body, but rather to skid in sideways,used up, in a cloud of smoke, totally worn out, and screaming what a ride! (H.S. Thompson) Remember to keep the shiny side on top.

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Post by winguyjo »

i would be checking float height and cleaning the fuel inlet needle seat. for that i like to put a q-tip in the drill, put a dab of the orange hand cleaner on it (the type that contains pumice). you could also use carb cleaner and some people use toothpaste . a few seconds of that and a rinse will have those brass seats shiny clean.

i wouldn't worry about non-ethanol fuel for a bike that isn't going to be sitting for a long time.

TheFalcro

Post by TheFalcro »

winguyjo wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:16 am
i would be checking float height and cleaning the fuel inlet needle seat. for that i like to put a q-tip in the drill, put a dab of the orange hand cleaner on it (the type that contains pumice). you could also use carb cleaner and some people use toothpaste . a few seconds of that and a rinse will have those brass seats shiny clean.

i wouldn't worry about non-ethanol fuel for a bike that isn't going to be sitting for a long time.
I will definitely look into that as an option. The long term plan is rebuilding the carbs completely. This scooter runs but has been sitting for about three years. The PO did try to add fresh fuel and used some type of stabilizer but the fuel is yellow and starting to smell strong. So before I rebuild the carbs I am going to try fresh fuel and some agressive "cleaning" with some Berryman's 12 right down the intake as well as pulling some right through the carbs themselves. if I get improvement it will be a good indicator of varnish and gummy stuff in the carbs if there is no improvement I will just rebuid and then I should be gtg. At this point I can't really hurt them if it is bad seats and float issues a rebuild is the best option I think

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Post by winguyjo »

definitely get rid of all that old fuel. sitting for 3 years with gas in the bowls is not kind to carbs. if you are lucky, the previous owner treated the gas with fuel stabilizer, but even there, the bottle says right on it that it is only effective for 6 months.

some symptoms that point to carbs needing dis-assembly and cleaning :

fuel overflowing,
bike will idle only with the choke on,
stalls when you give it any throttle.

i have had good success with just dis-assembly and THOROUGH cleaning, but i am a) monetarily retentive and b) retired with plenty of time to play with carburetors. your situation may be different.

TheFalcro

Post by TheFalcro »

winguyjo wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:01 pm
<Snip>
fuel overflowing,
bike will idle only with the choke on,
stalls when you give it any throttle.

i have had good success with just dis-assembly and THOROUGH cleaning, but i am a) monetarily retentive and b) retired with plenty of time to play with carburetors. your situation may be different.
I am much the same here. Plenty of time. With the fuel puddling in the top of the intake along with the other issues in going to pull this manifold and revolve the carbs. This scooter is the planned choice for a 15 day Western States type next season so it needs to be ready. Thank you for your input

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Just my opinion. If you are really going to attempt a 15 day ride out West on that 1100 then do yourself a favor and purchase the Randakks carb kit and do the carb rebuild properly. Last thing you want to have to do is rebuild the carbs while on your ride. Good luck to you!

TheFalcro

Post by TheFalcro »

dingdong wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:35 pm
Just my opinion. If you are really going to attempt a 15 day ride out West on that 1100 then do yourself a favor and purchase the Randakks carb kit and do the carb rebuild properly. Last thing you want to have to do is rebuild the carbs while on your ride. Good luck to you!
I would love to do that but they are currently out of stock I'm on the waiting list but I may not be able to wait. I need this running soon so I can shake it down over the off season with short rides and stress testing. I've already ordered the book they have on Randakk's. Thank you for the suggestion. If you know someone with these kits for sale PM me with info.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

I didn't know that. Sorry. I would still put off my trip as long as possible until I got the carbs rebuilt. Last thing I would want to happen is breaking down riding across Nevada on hwy 50. Just joking but... not knowing your planned route. ??? I wish you luck.

TheFalcro

Post by TheFalcro »

dingdong wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:15 pm
I didn't know that. Sorry. I would still put off my trip as long as possible until I got the carbs rebuilt. Last thing I would want to happen is breaking down riding across Nevada on hwy 50. Just joking but... not knowing your planned route. ??? I wish you luck.
Ha ha awesome I agree that I would not want to be in that situation in NV either... well here is my verbal description of the route I will be posting info in the general "anything goes" section with pics of the bike, the map that has the pinned route, and (hopefully if it is ok) a link to my YouTube channel for those that might want to see what a middle aged dude does on a long scooter ride lol and my story of how this all came together.

My proposed route Starting in Tigard OR crossing a little of eastern WA state into ID crossing Montana to see Devil's tower, into ND, south to SD until I find Mt Rushmore (it is in one of those states I am sure) and Sturgis/Deadwood. Then turning south in South Dakota heading across the NW corner of NE, into CO, AZ can you say, Grand Canyon. Then to Salt Lake Utah (NOT the city), on to Lake Tahoe NV, CA, Lake Shasta CA, Crater Lake Oregon Then back home to Tigard OR just a little under 4k miles and truthfully will be a little more with side trips I will probably take. This is my Western states "Bucket Ride" I will be vloging it and posting the vids on YouTube. If I don't do this now I never will. I am excited and terrified at the same time.

TheFalcro

Post by TheFalcro »

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. as it turns out my initial thought is correct, one of the fuel lines simply broke from age and hardness. new fuel lines and filter went on today and two gallons of fresh gas (I got all the old fuel out first) She fired right up with no issues. No overflowing carbs although they are getting rebuilt regardless. Anyway I will finish up with the cooling system flush, change the belts, sync the carbs and it will be time for a test ride.