HELP timing marks??? am I in trouble??

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
TheFalcro
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GoldWing GL1100 40k miles newest addition to the barn runs but needs love, 1986 Kawasaki Voyager 1300A 34k miles Absolute basket case but it's all there, 2005 Suzuki S50 Boulevard (VT800) 2k miles this is my current rider, rescued from a dusty garage and gummed up carbs ...... carbs rebuilt..... runs like a clock

HELP timing marks??? am I in trouble??

Post by TheFalcro »

So I watch the videos and did the things here are pics of what I see following this description. I turned the engin over by had untio the marks lined up . Then I loosened the tensioners and removed the belts being sure to put a wrench on the right side cam pulley so that it is held under tension using a zip tie. (pic of that included then I got up and looked into the timing port on the engine and it is CLEARLY off. after loosening the tensioners and putting the wrenc/ziptie tool on I di not move anything that I am aware of..

First question; is there a position that will do this (my belts arrive tomorrow 08/20/2020) should I move that crank a little further so that it lines up on T-1 and then install the belts and roll over by hand to test.

Second question; where is the procedure for setting the timing from scratch if that is what I need to do then so be it

I am now terrified that I am screwed, I do not think I moved anything while taking off the eft side belt but the mark on the crank is clearly off. here are the pics

Right cam gear
Right cam gear

Left cam gear
Left cam gear

T-1 port it appears that it is just a few degrees off from the T-1 mark
T-1 port it appears that it is just a few degrees off from the T-1 mark

Wrench/zip tie tool on R cam gear. done before belt removal
Wrench/zip tie tool on R cam gear. done before belt removal

Life is not a journey to the grave arriving in a well preserved and perfect body, but rather to skid in sideways,used up, in a cloud of smoke, totally worn out, and screaming what a ride! (H.S. Thompson) Remember to keep the shiny side on top.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: HELP timing marks??? am I in trouble??

Post by Maz »

Go ahead and move the crank to the timing mark. Move the cam pulleys to line up as required. You'll hurt nothing moving the crank/pulleys that small amount.
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

TheFalcro
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GoldWing GL1100 40k miles newest addition to the barn runs but needs love, 1986 Kawasaki Voyager 1300A 34k miles Absolute basket case but it's all there, 2005 Suzuki S50 Boulevard (VT800) 2k miles this is my current rider, rescued from a dusty garage and gummed up carbs ...... carbs rebuilt..... runs like a clock

Post by TheFalcro »

Maz wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:50 pm
Go ahead and move the crank to the timing mark. Move the cam pulleys to line up as required. You'll hurt nothing moving the crank/pulleys that small amount.
Maz
THANK YOU!

This is the answer I hoped for. I have now aligned all of the marks I will report after the new belts are on. I will still be rolling it over by hand and triple checking just because lol
Life is not a journey to the grave arriving in a well preserved and perfect body, but rather to skid in sideways,used up, in a cloud of smoke, totally worn out, and screaming what a ride! (H.S. Thompson) Remember to keep the shiny side on top.

TheFalcro

Post by TheFalcro »

TheFalcro wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:11 pm
Maz wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:50 pm
Maz
THANK YOU!

This is the answer I hoped for. I have now aligned all of the marks I will report after the new belts are on. I will still be rolling it over by hand and triple checking just because lol
The new belts went on today. Everything rolled over by hand with no issues so I fired the scooter up. She started on the firt try I ran it for about a minute, probably less, then shut her off because the cooling system was drained and empty. I installed the belt covers radiator and hoses put coolant into the system until it would not take anymore then pushed it outside to start it up and let it get warm and finish filling the cooling system. The scooter once again started right up and ran normal. I had been watching the coolant level go down a little waiting for the T-stat to open when the scooter just lost power lugged and died. she will not restart as though there is no spark. I am going to get a compression tester and test compression to make sure that nothing crashed into parts they shouldn't. I am posting just before leaving for the parts store. Other than an error in timing on my part does anyone have a suggestion on what else might have failed to make this happen.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Check spark and fuel would be the first places to start.... If it was running fine highly doubtful anything happened with the belts, unless you didn't tighten the tensioners.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

TheFalcro

Post by TheFalcro »

DenverWinger wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:33 pm
Check spark and fuel would be the first places to start.... If it was running fine highly doubtful anything happened with the belts, unless you didn't tighten the tensioners.
I did just exactly what you suggested. The spark is fine and it has great compression on all 4 all came in about 120lbs +/- 3 to 5 lbs. Now it is time for the confession. Just in case you wondered, yes, I feel dumb. It would seem that someone (ME) turned off the fuel petcock while changing the fuel filter....it seems that that same person (ME AGAIN) neglected to put it back to the "ON" position before starting the scooter. The poor little lady just ran out of gas... She runs great other than some valves that need adjusting, they are very tickety tick tick tick. Since none of the other maintenence that the PO paid someone to do was ever done... ( timing belts, carbs rebuilt etc was ever done) I am going to guess that they did not adjust the valves like they claimed either. The sad part is the PO just finally gave up on her because nothing he did seemed to improve the scooter. As a result of this he bought a newer Goldwing I think it is a 1500. He likes the scooter well enough but he didn't really need a new one just needed an honest repair shop. I hate when ppl just take advantage and scam $$. Thanks to all of you that helped me through this. I would have lost hair without your advice and help

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Jeez, been there, done that. Just another case of overlooking the obvious.. :o :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you are well on your way to having a nice running machine! :D

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark