Emission Control System Storage Tank Maintenance

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
vizulefllry
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Emission Control System Storage Tank Maintenance

Post by vizulefllry »

Hi All,

A cycle mechanic that I trust very much told me about this storage tank. I didn't know about it because it's not in any routine maintenance docs. He told me to make sure I always routinely clean it out and to definitely not drill a hole in it like some people do. He did explain it to me but I don't recall what he said.
The strange thing is that I can't find any information on it. The manual shows nothing about cleaning it out. Someone posted a similar question about it here almost a decade ago, but no one knew what they were talking about.
viewtopic.php?t=6594

Does anyone know anything about this?

johnny42
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate (original owner)
2018 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Re: Emission Control System Storage Tank Maintenance

Post by johnny42 »

If you mean this thing, it's simple to remove, tip to drain and reinstall. I don't think I ever had fluid in mine.
Attachments

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Post by indianakid »

the information is covered in the factory service manual and in the owners manuals.
Attachments

Factory Service Manual
Factory Service Manual

1981 Owners Manual
1981 Owners Manual

1983 Owners Manual
1983 Owners Manual

vizulefllry
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Post by vizulefllry »

Thanks everyone for the super fast replies. I couldn't find it in this online manual. The page is pretty hard to navigate. Found it now that I know what page it is on.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10691 ... =32#manual

I'm going on a trip tomorrow so I'll check it out tonight.

Lucky07
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1984 CB550SC (Sold it :( )

Post by Lucky07 »

Whatever is in there in theory should get sucked up through the intake and go through the combustion process to be expelled out the exhaust. It's a crank case vent, it basically just recirculates the blow-by gases instead of venting them to atmosphere. Ever seen the smoke coming out of a pipe under the engine of an old diesel? That's blow-by being vented, the older and more worn the rings and sleeves the worst the blow-by. That black reservoir would be on the end of that pipe in theory, it's purpose is to collect excess oil particles as venting everything direct to intake without pulling any "excess" liquid out isn't the greatest idea. Whatever big drops collect go to reservoir, rest to through intake.
If there is a significant amount of oil/junk in there it is likely because A: too much blow-by (mostly unlikely) or B: the gases aren't being pulled into the intake with authority (kinked hose etc. which is more likely) allowing bigger drops to form.

Edit: Mine has "T" in the routing gone (there's no actual T fitting, the airbox makes the T). My crank case vents to atmosphere directly under the bike. Makes one side of my center stand dirty but that's about it. It was like that when I bought it and I just haven't taken the time to sort that out yet. It's on the list I promise lol

I'm having a hard time putting what's in my head into words tonight for some reason. I hope I don't confuse anyone with my description.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Lucky07 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:35 pm
Whatever is in there in theory should get sucked up through the intake and go through the combustion process to be expelled out the exhaust. It's a crank case vent, it basically just recirculates the blow-by gases instead of venting them to atmosphere. Ever seen the smoke coming out of a pipe under the engine of an old diesel? That's blow-by being vented, the older and more worn the rings and sleeves the worst the blow-by. That black reservoir would be on the end of that pipe in theory, it's purpose is to collect excess oil particles as venting everything direct to intake without pulling any "excess" liquid out isn't the greatest idea. Whatever big drops collect go to reservoir, rest to through intake.
If there is a significant amount of oil/junk in there it is likely because A: too much blow-by (mostly unlikely) or B: the gases aren't being pulled into the intake with authority (kinked hose etc. which is more likely) allowing bigger drops to form.

Edit: Mine has "T" in the routing gone (there's no actual T fitting, the airbox makes the T). My crank case vents to atmosphere directly under the bike. Makes one side of my center stand dirty but that's about it. It was like that when I bought it and I just haven't taken the time to sort that out yet. It's on the list I promise lol

I'm having a hard time putting what's in my head into words tonight for some reason. I hope I don't confuse anyone with my description.
That tank is for condensate - liquid that you don't want to suck into the cylinders. They don't want you venting it to the atmosphere because it's got some pretty noxious fumes, but it won't hurt the bike to do it. It is however a path for moisture to get into the crankcase if left open, which is not a good thing.