wiring

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Skeldog
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

wiring

Post by Skeldog »

this is my continued project to save a spedometer from an 83 to replace my 82. if I manage to repair the lens face today. I found when removing my original unit. there is one large connector on the harness from the panel plus a smaller one that has 3 pins used in it.while the 83 has all of them in one connector. both with the exception of 3 independent wires with bullet connectors. I'm hoping to install the complete assembly.I have not yet traced the color combinations from the plugs. but hope they retained the same color wires. if so I should be able to locate which wires go to the the second connector and splice them over. have any of you done this swap?

Skeldog

Re: wiring

Post by Skeldog »

by the way almost all the wiring worked out since I just ended up installing the 83 spedometer into the 82 panel. with the exception of one pink wire which is present in the harness from the bike but the 83 spedometer does not have.on opening the 82 spedometer there is a solid state electrical unit of some type that mounts by the odometer. and the pink wire goes into it. I sure did not intend to
open up the 83 head so I just taped the pink wire off for now. I'm attempting to get the harness all back in place to re-connect and try things out.but if anybody has access to a wiring diagram to tell me what that pink wire does I'd loike to know

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 »

The 83 speedo has top gear indicator. That is probably the pink wire.

Go to the top of any page on this forum and click on manuals. you can check out the wiring there.

Skeldog

Post by Skeldog »

that is a very good resource. however I am not interested in trying to see what will happen if I tell this old computer to download some program to allow it to open some document. I've been bit by such things in the past. I'll work all day long with wrenches and tools but I pass on getting into telling this old thing it's ok to load something . all I really wanted to know is what the pink wire coming from the original harness in the 82 interstate and going into the spedometer is for. it is not there on the 83 spedometer I picked up.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

The wiring diagram is just a picture nothing to download to view it. And the pink wire is the air indicator sensor.Image

Skeldog

Post by Skeldog »

Thank you for that help. I don't know if I was not selecting the right thing or what when mine would bring up a message asking me to download some program. but anyway that seems to indicate there is no need for me to hook that one up. however I am not getting any reading now from my gas gage and temp gage which were working intermittently before.other than that I guess I'm making progress.