Introduction and Turn Signal question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
haleydr82
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Standard

Introduction and Turn Signal question

Post by haleydr82 »

Hello all!!

I'm new to the forum and recently picked up a low mileage (around 13k) 1982 GL1100 Standard that was sitting in a garage for the past 5 - 10 years. I had never worked on these bikes before, but was interested in getting it back and running because of the vintage look of these models.

The bike wouldn't run when I picked it up about a month ago, but after replacing the timing belts; rebuilding the carbs; replacing the water pump; derusting the gas tank; and replacing as many o-rings and filters as I could I finally got the bike back on the road this week. After only the first 50 miles it's running great!

In addition to the mechanical work, I've also removed the Vetter fairing, trunk, and saddlebags to give the bike it's original 'naked' look. Fortunately the original owner left the headlight mount behind the fairing (however cut off the turn signal ears). I was able to find a new headlight that bolted right onto the existing mounts and fashioned temporary brackets to hold front turn signals while I figure out a more permanent solution.

I apologize for the long intro, but wanted to get that out of the way! Now, onto my actual question...

From what I understand, this bike is supposed to come with self-cancelling turn signals, however there is no self-cancellation happening. Doing a quick search it looks like there should be an angle sensor somewhere along the front fork (#1 and #2 in the diagram below).

I can't seem to find this sensor anywhere on my bike,and wondering if it was relocated with the Vetter fairing or cut-off by the original owner to disable the self-cancellation feature. I also have a couple wires behind the headlight that are unused after removing the vetter pigtail, which seems to support the theory that the aftermarket fairing relocated the sensor.

Can anybody provide direction on where this sensor should be? Any pictures of the factory placement of this sensor would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance and for anybody interested here is a pic of the new bike!

Joneszy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade Stripped
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"
1979 Suzuki GS850(current project)

Re: Introduction and Turn Signal question

Post by Joneszy »

I am not sure that your 82 has self cancelling turn signals. I know the 83 does as I have stripped an 83 aspencade. I see a speed sensor on the diagrams on the enclosed link from NGW for an 83 but do not see it on the diagram for an 82 standard. Look on the very left side of the diagrams after expanding the diagrams. The diagrams are high res and blow up so they are still readable. Someone with an 82 will likely chime in.
https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=43690
haleydr82

Post by haleydr82 »

Thanks Jonezy! I believe that the part I am looking for is an angle sensor, not necessarily a speed sensor.

It's definitely possible that this bike never had the self-cancellation feature, although I've read that all 82s had it.
haleydr82

Post by haleydr82 »

Just looked at the diagrams again, and I see the angle sensor listed in the 83 diagrams and not the 82 diagrams. Looks like the 82 did not have self cancellation...
Joneszy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade Stripped
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"
1979 Suzuki GS850(current project)

Post by Joneszy »

Just heard back from a buddy with an 82 standard and his does indeed have self cancelling turn signals. I am thinking the speed sensor I was referring too sends a signal to turn off the turnsignals once the bike picks up speed. I know I can sit a a stop light/sign and the turnsignal will remain on, once I pick up speed after negotiating the turn it shuts off. There again I may be mistaken as I am not an electrical guru. Hope someone else can give additional info, at any rate the wiring diagrams are a real asset.
haleydr82

Post by haleydr82 »

Great, thanks Joneszy! I appreciate the feedback from your buddy, I’ll keep digging!
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

The 82 Aspy definitely has it. The module (part 2 in your diagram) is mounted up inside the bottom of the steering shaft (5) and the wires (part 1) go down through the shaft to plug into it. Part 4 is bolted to the frame and to the module, to give it a stationary frame of reference for the plane of rotation.

Look at the bottom of your triple tree, right in the middle, that's where it should be.