vacuum module on pulse generator

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
elementfe
Motorcycle: 83 1100 Interstate

vacuum module on pulse generator

Post by elementfe »

I need info on where the vacuum tube from the booster module on the pulse generator is supposed to go.
Walked by my 83 this morning and it was on its side stand, noticed the vac. module and wondered what the heck it was....ok, I found out a little about it, but the vacuum tube, as far as I can tell, hasn't been connected since I've owned the bike, just lying on top of the case.
There is a nipple on the carb set, rt side, rear carb, that looks like it shouldn't be empty, and I'm wondering if that's indeed where that line goes.
Anyone able to help? I haven't been able to find a photo or diagram that shows.

Weird part is that the hose isn't long enough to make it to the empty spot- where is it supposed to plug into the carb setup?
(by "empty spot" I mean a nipple that comes out of the carb body that looks like it should have a hose on it.)

Winnipeg
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I interstate

Re: vacuum module on pulse generator

Post by Winnipeg »

That’s where mine goes #3 carb. Had disconnected for awhile and did not seem to affect performance . Forget why I disconnected but have together now and runs fine. Have an 82 Interstate.

elementfe

Post by elementfe »

Winnipeg wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:26 pm
That’s where mine goes #3 carb. Had disconnected for awhile and did not seem to affect performance . Forget why I disconnected but have together now and runs fine. Have an 82 Interstate.
Thanks, Winnipeg!
I haven't road tested, but found that there was about 5-7 in. hg vacuum on that nipple at around 3k, (nothing at idle) so it ain't nuthin...rerouted the hose and attached it, doesn't affect idle at all- it'll be interesting to see if the bike is any more lively on the hwy.

Winnipeg
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I interstate

Post by Winnipeg »

Vacuum advance on pulse generator is a common failure and not rebuild able. Quick fix is plugging vac fitting at #3 carb. Says u might have slight decrease in fuel Econ and performance. Loss is negligible. This is all according to Randakks Cycle Shack in Florida. Did not make this up. Just read online and passing on to you. Thinking why vac line was disconnected in the first place. Have a good one.

elementfe

Post by elementfe »

First, I guess I need to find out how to test the vacuum unit.
Seems really odd that it wouldn't be an important part, disconnecting the vacuum advance on any other four stroke motor severely affects performance.

I keep hoping to discover that thing that'll make this bike accelerate like an 1100 LOL

elementfe

Post by elementfe »

Finally got it out for a road test....
If your vacuum advance is disconnected and it doesn't make any difference, FIX WHAT'S WRONG.
I've always thought this bike was kind of a cow, and thought it was because my other bike has so much more hp.
Nope, it was because the dang vacuum advance was disconnected.
I'm not sure if it qualifies as "frisky," but it's not the same dull bike it was last time I rode it.
Get it working, get it connected.