Replacement mirrors

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Skeldog
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

Replacement mirrors

Post by Skeldog »

Well I know I'm posting too often-but thought I had everything fixed till today's ride. when the right side fairing mounted mirror hit the pavement. seems the tension screw pulled out of the mirror arm. anyway I removed the high low switch off the left handlebar earlier and there is a threaded hole there on both grip housings -the right side right bebind and I guess part of the front master cylinder. looks to me like there might be a great place for a pair of handlebar mount mirrors which might be less affected by high winds while running into it on the highway. has anyone gone that route? and if so is it a good idea or better to stick with stock?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Replacement mirrors

Post by WingAdmin »

Skeldog wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:44 pm Well I know I'm posting too often-but thought I had everything fixed till today's ride. when the right side fairing mounted mirror hit the pavement. seems the tension screw pulled out of the mirror arm. anyway I removed the high low switch off the left handlebar earlier and there is a threaded hole there on both grip housings -the right side right bebind and I guess part of the front master cylinder. looks to me like there might be a great place for a pair of handlebar mount mirrors which might be less affected by high winds while running into it on the highway. has anyone gone that route? and if so is it a good idea or better to stick with stock?
That's exactly what that is for - because on the unfaired Standard GL1100's, there has to be a place for mirrors to go.

I don't know if they are still around, but I was able to find aftermarket replacement mirrors for the GL1100 that fit perfectly. I think maybe they came from Partsnmore.com? It's been many years, so I don't recall, but I did replace them with new ones and they fit and worked great.
Skeldog
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

Re: Replacement mirrors

Post by Skeldog »

Thank you! I went to their site and they do have it for sale. unless I find a set of the type that fit on the handlebars that I like better I will get one ordered.