removing the rear wheel

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Skeldog
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

removing the rear wheel

Post by Skeldog »

I want to remove the rear wheel and check the splines on the drive. this is on the 82 Interstate.is it possible while it's sitting on the centerstand? this one has all the chrome stuff on the back attached to the bag cage. I've seen a video showing the back fender lower section being unbolted but I'm wondering if it's possible to raise it enough to just pull the bag after letting the air out of the shocks or whether it will be necessary to jack it up. from what I see it looks like the exhaust is lower than the frame which would mean building a special rack to sit on a motorcycle jack - I think I had built one years ago for a Valkyrie but I'm sure I don't have it anymore

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: removing the rear wheel

Post by WingAdmin »

Sure is! Check out: How to remove and reinstall your rear wheel for step-by-step instructions.
Skeldog

Post by Skeldog »

OK thanks- I think I started looking at that one and thought there had to be some simpler way than going to the depth of removing the rear drive and the brake disc to get to the spline drive. but I guess it is time to bite the bullet and follw the complete sequence.thanks for the guidance. I'm tempted to ride it a while longer but as long as it has been since it's had attention I won't risk it.the tire has quite a bit of tread life left , but going to all that trouble it's hard not to think I'd be better off going ahead and replacing it while that far
Skeldog

Post by Skeldog »

yes I had forgot how much had to be removed to get it out but by following all the guidelines it did come out. I found once I he the gear drive out the biggest thing was getting it to slide out while it drags against the braces to the bag mounting. I laid a 2x6 on the floor against the tire and kicked it while steadying the bike and it came out pretty painlessly. I think while it's out I'm going to order a tire and not think about going back with a half worn out one as much trouble as it is. can someone tell me what size and brand they have gone to on the datrkside? I'm pretty sure I'm going there. it is a 82 Interstate
newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

Skeldog wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:05 pm yes I had forgot how much had to be removed to get it out but by following all the guidelines it did come out. I found once I he the gear drive out the biggest thing was getting it to slide out while it drags against the braces to the bag mounting. I laid a 2x6 on the floor against the tire and kicked it while steadying the bike and it came out pretty painlessly. I think while it's out I'm going to order a tire and not think about going back with a half worn out one as much trouble as it is. can someone tell me what size and brand they have gone to on the datrkside? I'm pretty sure I'm going there. it is a 82 Interstate
No room for a car tire. Plus any of the 2 shock swing arm wings have too much play in the rear suspension that the bike will track the grooves of grooved roads excessively. Been there done it on a 1200 and 1500. Wait until you have an 1800 to darkside. Far better handling with the single sided swingarm.