Cold start problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
lucagw
Motorcycle: gl 1100
HD FXS 1200
Triumph 955 Sprint

Cold start problem

Post by lucagw »

Hi, my bike has been sitting in the garage for one month, now. We are in winter so temperature in the garage can go quite low. Yesterday I tried to fire engine up but, curiously, it would not fire up using the choke. Without choke, instead, it would fire up staying at idle for 2 seconds before stopping.
Shouldn't this thing work in the opposite way??

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Re: Cold start problem

Post by OldguyGlen »

Might need more investigation... wet plugs, flooding carbs, main jet sliders stuck open, etc.
But here's a "guess".... Engine is flooded due to leaking carbs or something. Too rich to start with choke on. Then with choke open, excess flooded gas clears out and it fires up. But after burning off the excess gas, it gets back to "normal" for a cold engine and now needs some choke to keep going.
My guess is a stuck float. Might free up with gentle tap on the bowl.
ride dont hide
Motorcycle: 83 GL 1100 80 CB 750K 68 BSA Royal Star 69 BSA Firebird 69 Triumph Chopper 60 BMW R26 and more.

Re: Cold start problem

Post by ride dont hide »

My '83 was notorious for this. I regularly ride in COLD weather. It never started with the choke on. I always went no choke- 2 to 3 twists of the throttle- hit start. As soon as it started I hit the choke full on. This works down to 15 degrees, thats as cold as I have ridden to work.... The bike had a little over 100,000 miles on it before I upgraded to an '85.