Painting a GL1100

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Thirty6dark
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade (For Sale)
2000 GL1500SE Aspencade
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

Painting a GL1100

Post by Thirty6dark »

Hello all, I'm glad to have joined the forum. Good stuff on here!
I'm a new owner of an '82 GL1100 Aspencade. It is currently Sorrell brown. For all of you that have painted your bikes, I have two questions:

First- How much paint did you actually need? I plan on a basecoat/clearcoat system, but I cannot determine if one quart, two quarts or a gallon of each is enough. I cannot afford PPG or anything like that, so obviously cost is a factor. I just cant get a straight answer for the quantity of paint I need.

Second- Being that cost is a factor, I have found some paint "kits" from companies like TCPGlobal and Ure-kem. Has anybody tried these brands, and if you did what did you like/dislike about them? Also anybody else that has informed opinions please chime in.

I do have autobody experience, but we used PPG Global, and my pockets aren't deep enough for that stuff!

Thank you all!!

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: Painting a GL1100

Post by newday777 »

Thirty6dark wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:29 pm Hello all, I'm glad to have joined the forum. Good stuff on here!
I'm a new owner of an '82 GL1100 Aspencade. It is currently Sorrell brown. For all of you that have painted your bikes, I have two questions:

First- How much paint did you actually need? I plan on a basecoat/clearcoat system, but I cannot determine if one quart, two quarts or a gallon of each is enough. I cannot afford PPG or anything like that, so obviously cost is a factor. I just cant get a straight answer for the quantity of paint I need.

Second- Being that cost is a factor, I have found some paint "kits" from companies like TCPGlobal and Ure-kem. Has anybody tried these brands, and if you did what did you like/dislike about them? Also anybody else that has informed opinions please chime in.

I do have autobody experience, but we used PPG Global, and my pockets aren't deep enough for that stuff!

Thank you all!!
Welcome to the forum

As you have asked your question added onto an old thread(2011) of almost 10 years old...many of the posters in it may not be active on here. To get close to what you want for answers you might do better starting a new topic so your question is fresh at the top.
I haven't painted one so I don't have your answers, most likely 2 qts should be enough when thinned properly.
But I do know that quality paint has gone through the roof in costs. If you are going to paint you will have to pay the piper....... Save up if need be.
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Welcome to the madness. Painting is quite addictive. Painted my 1500 this past spring, 3 part system - Pearl Glacier White - base coat, pearl, clear - did the trim as well. Just finished painting my '85 Limited Edition, two tone - gold and brown metal flake with pinstripes. Rebuilt the 1200 engine as well. The 1500 was my first ever major paint project with a spray gun, turned out very well once I got the hang of it.

Did these as my C-19 projects, couldn't go anywhere so had to keep busy. Always wanted to use paint spray guns so this was the opportunity.

If you are going to use a paint spray gun, 1 pint is as much paint as you need. Same for clear coat. Need reducer for the colour and activator for the clear. Should be less than $150.00 USD for the paint. For spray gun, recommend a 0.8 mm nozzle - don't need anything larger - mini spray gun from Harbor Freight - $20.00 USD on sale. Did my 1500 and 1200 with $20.00 CDN mini spray guns (on sale), 0.8 mm nozzle, from our Princess Auto - Harbor Freight equivalent. Recommend getting extra paint, 1 quart of the colour, to use some for practice and the "oops" factor. These mini spray guns are easily paired with a small home compressor that can put out 4 CFM at 90 PSI. I sprayed at 15 to 18 PSI for colour and clear coat.

The painting is an afternoon project. The prep work will take a couple of weeks. You have to get all imperfections out of the old paint, fix all cracks etc in the plastic or these will show in the new finished product.

Recommend a primer coat under the colour coat especially if you are going to change colour. 1K epoxy primer works good. Fills in a lot of imperfections. Probably need 3 or 4 spray cans of epoxy primer.

The finish is predicated on the prep work as you know.

I made a lot of mistakes and had quite a few "oops" along the way, still have a few. Do a couple of test runs to get the speed and spray gun setup correct.

Take the paint code into your local auto paint store and it should be able to get you what you need. It can provide a cost estimate for what you need.

Good luck with your project.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between

Past rides

Post by newday777 »

How about a picture and model of this mini spray gun you mentioned
Rednaxs60 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:31 pm Welcome to the madness. Painting is quite addictive. Painted my 1500 this past spring, 3 part system - Pearl Glacier White - base coat, pearl, clear - did the trim as well. Just finished painting my '85 Limited Edition, two tone - gold and brown metal flake with pinstripes. Rebuilt the 1200 engine as well. The 1500 was my first ever major paint project with a spray gun, turned out very well once I got the hang of it.

Did these as my C-19 projects, couldn't go anywhere so had to keep busy. Always wanted to use paint spray guns so this was the opportunity.

If you are going to use a paint spray gun, 1 pint is as much paint as you need. Same for clear coat. Need reducer for the colour and activator for the clear. Should be less than $150.00 USD for the paint. For spray gun, recommend a 0.8 mm nozzle - don't need anything larger - mini spray gun from Harbor Freight - $20.00 USD on sale. Did my 1500 and 1200 with $20.00 CDN mini spray guns (on sale), 0.8 mm nozzle, from our Princess Auto - Harbor Freight equivalent. Recommend getting extra paint, 1 quart of the colour, to use some for practice and the "oops" factor. These mini spray guns are easily paired with a small home compressor that can put out 4 CFM at 90 PSI. I sprayed at 15 to 18 PSI for colour and clear coat.

The painting is an afternoon project. The prep work will take a couple of weeks. You have to get all imperfections out of the old paint, fix all cracks etc in the plastic or these will show in the new finished product.

Recommend a primer coat under the colour coat especially if you are going to change colour. 1K epoxy primer works good. Fills in a lot of imperfections. Probably need 3 or 4 spray cans of epoxy primer.

The finish is predicated on the prep work as you know.

I made a lot of mistakes and had quite a few "oops" along the way, still have a few. Do a couple of test runs to get the speed and spray gun setup correct.

Take the paint code into your local auto paint store and it should be able to get you what you need. It can provide a cost estimate for what you need.

Good luck with your project.
Rednaxs60
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Here's the mini paint spray gun I used:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/hvlp-mi ... 0008155582

I have since bought the smaller detail gun but don't find it to be as useful. Have three airbrushes. A 0.2 mm nozzle, 0.3 mm nozzle, and 0.5 mm nozzle. Upgraded to the Meiji mini spray gun 0.8 mm nozzle, similar to an Iwata LPH80, but half the price - will be getting the 0.5 mm nozzle kit for these guns:

Bought other spray guns at start with 1.3 mm nozzles, a set of Devilbiss Startingline guns, and a Sprayit 0.8 mm nozzle LVLP gun as well. Good experience, but not necessary.

Another nice tool I made was a Lazy Susan turntable. This came in handy because I was able to rotate the piece being painted without handling it. I made wood jigs to hold the pieces being painted. Here's a picture of the lazy Susan with the lower front cowling from my 1500 mounted:

This lazy Susan has a good weight capacity:

Using it to work on my 1200 engine:

Nice to be able to rotate the engine to work on it.

My paint guy introduced me to one other paint product. It is a base colour system that is a 3:1:1.5 part system. 3 parts paint, 1 part activator, 1.5 part reducer. It is a one step paint system that does not require any clear coat. 2 coats of this and you have a high gloss finish. Use less paint, and don't have to use clear coat that is rather nasty and smelly. Used it on some of the black pieces such as the battery box, rear upper motor mounts:

Painted when it was a bit cold, would be better if weather were warmer.

painted the switch housings. Did some trials and found the best was to clean, degrease, apply 2 coats of 1K epoxy primer than apply the black matte paint. Used Eastwood Plastic restorer and SEM Trim black - either is good. Here's one finished:

I had the engine cases and parts vapour blasted. This does not change the surface profile but cleans it up nicely. You cannot paint the parts afterwards because the surface finish is too smooth. I did find a CERAKOTE product for all types of aluminum finishes including vapour blasting. Product is MC-5100. It is a one shot application and provides a protective ceramic coating. I have used this on painted parts as well such as my wheel rims, centre stand, swing arm and such. I'm hoping it stands up to the rigors of time and is easy to clean. Here's a pic of a finished wheel rim before:

Rear wheel final with the CERAKOTE applied:

Pinstripes were another issue. There are no more Honda decals available, but you can get decals made - expensive. Hand painted pinstripes is an art and expensive. Came up with a process that worked well for the pinstripes on my '85 Limited edition that worked out nicely. The most challenging was the front fairing because of the contours:

I sprayed the gold metal flake, then the brown metal flake. Taped for the pinstripe and sprayed the black. Clear coat on each piece once the colours and pinstripe were done. Prepping and taping for the pinstripe takes just as long if not longer than for the colour(s). Took 4 hours to prep and tape for pinstripes on each side of the front fairing - 30 minutes to paint. Took 45 minutes to clear coat the front fairing - 3 coats, 10/15 minutes between coats.

Learned lots of other things about painting as well. This should tweak your interest. Cheers

Ernest
Rednaxs60
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Have to mention that I am retired on fixed income. I did this over time, acquiring parts pieces and such because I have a monthly budget that I try to keep to - sometimes less, sometimes more, but averages out.

One more aspect to the painting of my '85 Limited edition is the chrome. Had some ratty looking chrome pieces and having pieces sent in for new chrome plating is expensive. Did my research and settled on Quicksilver Chrome by Createx - water based product. Lots of videos on line regarding this product. Used it to clean up the side air wing chrome bits. It is a good product, but will not replace actual chrome. For smaller accent pieces such as the air wing(s) hardware, just the ticket. These pieces were chrome, but over the years had started to rust and such. To prep these pieces for the Quicksilver chrome, cleaned and scuffed with sandpaper, applied CREATEX UVLS Gloss Clear - acts as an adhesion promoter. Next was to apply a gloss black paint, has to be high gloss black - used 4258 AutoAir Gloss Black, then the Quicksilver chrome. Once this was done, let sit for about a week to cure/harden well, then applied automotive clear coat. Picture of the hardware with the gloss black applied. These were chrome before I started:

Pics of the after with clear coat applied:

depending on how you look at the piece depends on the colour. Used a 0.3 mm airbrush to apply the water based products, had to use a mini spray gun for the clear coat.

Still have to refurbish the emblems. This is next on my list after I get the engine in and operating, the body work back on and the bike on the road. Emblems are going to be a challenge.

Hope I haven't highjacked this thread. As mentioned, not a lot of recent info on painting and refurbishing. Cheers

Ernest
newday777

Past rides

Post by newday777 »

newday777 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:30 pm
Welcome to the forum

As you have asked your question added onto an old thread(2011) of almost 10 years old...many of the posters in it may not be active on here. To get close to what you want for answers you might do better starting a new topic so your question is fresh at the top.
Okay who deleted the original posts from 2011 that were on this 2 days ago???
BadJack
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Post by BadJack »

I painted a rear fender once using a spray gun and paint I bought at Pepboys. Painted a helmet and rear rack using Rustoleum spray cans. All projects turned out OK, and the only mistakes occurred because I didn't properly prep the the items.

I always thought it would be an interesting project to paint a motorcycle using nothing but Rustoleum paint and a 2 part clear coat in spray cans. Plenty of video's on YouTube of people spray painting their entire car using spray cans, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone paint a motorcycle.