Brief drip of coolant from the weep hole

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
bofler
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Brief drip of coolant from the weep hole

Post by bofler »

The other day I was doing a valve adjustment and then carb sync. As I was doing the sync, I noticed a small amount of coolant had come out of the water pump weep hole. I know this usually means it's time for a new pump or at least some refreshing in that area. But the thing is, it only happened that one time, briefly, during the sync. I've taken the bike out several times since and clocked a couple hundred miles, and zero drips. Was this just a random occurrence, and something I shouldn't be worried about?

There was one weird thing, which is that I had the spark plug caps off to remove some carb chrome before doing the sync. I forgot to put the left side back on, and then couldn't get it to start (after several tries) until I realized I needed to reconnect the caps. Then it started, and it was then that there was the little rain of coolant. Not sure if or how that could have been a factor, but I'm also not an expert on the workings of the water pump.

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: Brief drip of coolant from the weep hole

Post by newday777 »

Just keep an eye on it and antifreeze level in radiator(not just the reservoir bottle).
If it gets more pronounced then it's time for a waterpump.
OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Re: Brief drip of coolant from the weep hole

Post by OldguyGlen »

Antifreeze leaks can be mysterious. Got my bike in non-running condition from the PO who had it stored for 10 yrs. It was low mileage (21000) so I expected most parts were not "worn out". The radiator was full, and no leakage. I did significant restoration effort over a winter season, including new hoses and radiator flush, but never opened the pump. I fired it up and the weep hole dripped steadily when running... but not a drop when sitting shut off. I was anxious to get it on the road so I decided I'd just keep an eye on radiator levels and see how it went for a season. About 1 month, about 500 miles into the season the dripping stopped completely. Another year and a couple thousand miles later and it it still dry. Who'd a thought it would self heal ?? Apparently the seals softened up and adjusted by themselves. Maybe yours did the same. Keep an eye on it, but some positive Karma from the Goldwing Spirits might have shined down on you. Good Luck.