Type "C" GL1100 voltage regulator

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
TheFalcro
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GoldWing GL1100 40k miles newest addition to the barn runs but needs love, 1986 Kawasaki Voyager 1300A 34k miles Absolute basket case but it's all there, 2005 Suzuki S50 Boulevard (VT800) 2k miles this is my current rider, rescued from a dusty garage and gummed up carbs ...... carbs rebuilt..... runs like a clock

Type "C" GL1100 voltage regulator

Post by TheFalcro »

Hello all I know it has been quite a while since my last post, I have had to fight Covid like so many others thankfully I am past the danger now. before I got sick I ordered the new voltage regulator for the temp and fuel gauges. I now have my fairing and instrument cluster off and before I start the disassembly and changeover are there any things I need to know or look for. getting this off on a full dress is quite an ordeal for me. I could not get to the right side nut without removing the fairing and the cluster would not come of because the crossover hose for the fork air was blocking the left stud from coming out. My Speedometer was having issues so I have purchased a used cluster to install and I am changing the voltage regulator at this time. I am still fairly weak and I want this to go a smoothly as possible so I am asking the collective and wonderful Goldwing Docs brain trust if there is anything else I should do now BEFORE I reinstall the cluster and fairing. I am also wondering if there are any specific instructions for the "c" type regulator or is it a simple matter to just change it and reconnect wires. Thank you all for the help in getting this poor old girl back on the road again. This forum has been indispensable for getting onto this old 1986 GoldWing full dresser.

Life is not a journey to the grave arriving in a well preserved and perfect body, but rather to skid in sideways,used up, in a cloud of smoke, totally worn out, and screaming what a ride! (H.S. Thompson) Remember to keep the shiny side on top.