150mph speedo and not enough wiring connectors

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
TheFalcro
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GoldWing GL1100 40k miles newest addition to the barn runs but needs love, 1986 Kawasaki Voyager 1300A 34k miles Absolute basket case but it's all there, 2005 Suzuki S50 Boulevard (VT800) 2k miles this is my current rider, rescued from a dusty garage and gummed up carbs ...... carbs rebuilt..... runs like a clock

150mph speedo and not enough wiring connectors

Post by TheFalcro »

Hello all,

I am changing the instrument cluster in my 1981 GoldWing GL1100 this does have the fairing and bags. The only part I am concerned with right now is the speedometer . I found a cluster allegedly from an '81 for $30 and everything loos good except my original is an 85 mph and the used replacement is 150 mph the wiring plugs are different meaning the used on I bought does not have the B/W P wiring plug and the Gray single wire that my original does. I think at this point I have two paths move the speedometer over to my Original cluster or trace out what these wires do and splice them into the factory harness on the replacement. The replacement uses 158 wedge base bulbs which I like as they are easy to find, the original uses a bayonet style base bulb so in honesty I would like to use the replacement if it is safe to do so. Has anyone done this before.? Tips possible pitfalls? Any help is greatly appreciated. This scooter is nearly ready to ride again just this cluster to finish \, valves to adjust and carbs re synced so I am in the home stretch I don't want to kill my momentum now lol

Life is not a journey to the grave arriving in a well preserved and perfect body, but rather to skid in sideways,used up, in a cloud of smoke, totally worn out, and screaming what a ride! (H.S. Thompson) Remember to keep the shiny side on top.
Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

Re: 150mph speedo and not enough wiring connectors

Post by Overdog »

If the new tach has an OD light (overdrive) on it the new cluster is probably from an 83
TheFalcro
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GoldWing GL1100 40k miles newest addition to the barn runs but needs love, 1986 Kawasaki Voyager 1300A 34k miles Absolute basket case but it's all there, 2005 Suzuki S50 Boulevard (VT800) 2k miles this is my current rider, rescued from a dusty garage and gummed up carbs ...... carbs rebuilt..... runs like a clock

Post by TheFalcro »

Overdog wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:03 am If the new tach has an OD light (overdrive) on it the new cluster is probably from an 83
Thank you for the insight. I will check that. I have since making this post, found one more alternative on eBay. The price is reasonable and payday is this Wednesday so I may just buy that one. I just need a working speedo and since the chances of me going over 85mph are extremely unlikely the 150 speedo is not a necessity.
Life is not a journey to the grave arriving in a well preserved and perfect body, but rather to skid in sideways,used up, in a cloud of smoke, totally worn out, and screaming what a ride! (H.S. Thompson) Remember to keep the shiny side on top.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

TheFalcro wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:35 am
Overdog wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:03 am If the new tach has an OD light (overdrive) on it the new cluster is probably from an 83
Thank you for the insight. I will check that. I have since making this post, found one more alternative on eBay. The price is reasonable and payday is this Wednesday so I may just buy that one. I just need a working speedo and since the chances of me going over 85mph are extremely unlikely the 150 speedo is not a necessity.
I got pulled over many years ago on the highway while riding my GL1100 when my brother in law had been in a motorcycle crash and I was heading to the hospital. I thought I was doing 85 mph, according to my GL1100's speedo. The officer clocked me at 110 mph. oops.

When I explained why...he let me go with a warning!!
TheFalcro

Post by TheFalcro »

WingAdmin wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:09 am
TheFalcro wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:35 am
I got pulled over many years ago on the highway while riding my GL1100 when my brother in law had been in a motorcycle crash and I was heading to the hospital. I thought I was doing 85 mph, according to my GL1100's speedo. The officer clocked me at 110 mph. oops.

When I explained why...he let me go with a warning!!
Great story (except your brother in law's crash) and the point I'm taking home is sometimes you need something to do things you didn't think you needed. Thank you for the input.