rectifier/regulator wiring

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate

rectifier/regulator wiring

Post by Chewy »

i am always doing some little project or another. my latest project has nothing to do with a goldwing, except the spare reg/rec from my 81. can anyone tell me if i can hook it up to a 110ac outlet from my house and get dc current from it? if i can do this, what would be the best way to go about doing so?

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: rectifier/regulator wiring

Post by Rambozo »

No way for the regulator. It is a shunt type that tries to ground any excess voltage.
The rectifier might work, but it is made to take a 3 phase input.
It would just be a lot easier to buy the correct parts and they are cheap.
A 10 amp 600 volt full bridge rectifier is only a buck or two.
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

i know, but i like to use things for something they werent made for. im currently using a pc power supply to power a car amp and subwoofer for my computer audio output.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I would really caution against doing this. It is definitely not rated to take 110 VAC, and more importantly there is no isolation (i.e. no transformer) between the input and output, so your "12 volt DC" output is actually for a portion of the waveform connected directly to the 110 VAC current. Potentially lethal if you happen to touch it, and depending on which legs you happen to choose to use, the ground of the 12 volt output could be that "hot" leg of the AC phase. The case of the radio is grounded, and if you touch that...and something grounded, that could be the end of you.

Not that it would likely operate long enough for that to happen, it would most likely go up in smoke and/or flames before that happened - and take out the radio you were trying to power at the same time.

Even if you somehow did get it to function, keep in mind that rectified AC is still a sinusoidal waveform, and all you'd likely hear from your radio is a very loud 60 Hz BUZZZZZ

So...basically, don't try this.
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

WingAdmin wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:23 pm
So...basically, don't try this.
this is why i ask questions to the people who know more about this stuff than i do.