83 gl 1100 brake caliper replacement

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
xrisp03
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing
1997 yamaha seca ii (sold)
2020 Lifan X-pect 200 (modified)

83 gl 1100 brake caliper replacement

Post by xrisp03 »

Greetings everyone

I'm kinda new to the forums and kinda new to owning a goldwing, i have inherited my father's 83 gl1100 goldwing. I've been restoring it over the winter and its all finished except for one major component. I have spent the to good part of my days off trying to locate a brake caliper for the front right side. The original one has seemed to have seized up on me and i have been spending the better part of week trying to find a replacement. Does anyone know of a company ( In the U.S. ) that sells replacement calipers without breaking the bank. I've seen some on ebay , but tbh i feel uneasy buying a used one. My aim is the get this ole girl on the road to daytona bike week this year. Any info would be a saving me from a mid life crisis..
Attachments

Joneszy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade Stripped
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"
1979 Suzuki GS850(current project)

Re: 83 gl 1100 brake caliper replacement

Post by Joneszy »

Couple of questions: You do realize that the brakes on your bike are linked? The front right and rear are activated by the brake pedal and the left front by the lever on the handlebars. Is the rear brake functioning OK? Have you taken the front caliper apart to determine the problem? Piston seized, corroded etc.? Some of the guru's here will be able to help but will likely need more info. BTW the front calipers are specific to 83's so don't buy a different caliper off Ebay. I would be sure to look up a parts fiche and get the right parts #'s.
Here is one fiche from Partzilla but there are lots of other companies on the net:
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... ke-caliper
You will note Left and right have different numbers and the pistons on each are different sizes etc.
xrisp03

Post by xrisp03 »

To answer your question Joneszy

yes i'm aware the brakes are linked, the rear wheel moves freely and the caliper is functioning. I examined both front calipers and the one on the right side ( the right side when sitting on the bike) seems to be the one that is locked up. I haven't taken it off yet to examine it closely ( will do in a couple of days since where i live is getting yet more snow). Being the age of the bike and ALL the parts on it are still original i figured it be best to just get a new one but all the sites ( including partzilla ) are out of stock on the caliper, the only local shop where i live closed this summer so any parts i need i'm going to have to get online and shipped. I see alot of rebuild kits and have read the article someone here posted about rebuilding calipers. I might have to go that route and hope for the best since i have never done it myself. I was hoping to just get a new one but like i stated there seems to be no front calipers on any of the sites i looked at.
Joneszy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade Stripped
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"
1979 Suzuki GS850(current project)

Post by Joneszy »

My thoughts are that you will likely be able to rebuild the caliper in question (you won't likely need a complete new caliper)unless there is severe corrosion. Take it apart, most of us have done that and look at the pieces, most can be cleaned up and restored. Get back to the crew here once you take it apart, and pics are a good thing.
xrisp03

Post by xrisp03 »

will do , thanks for the feed back.
JoBoy68
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GoldWing GL 1100 Interstate

Post by JoBoy68 »

back 15 years or more, I decided to buy new calipers and the parts guy told me No,you want parts to rebuild it. new calipers back then were $350 apiece. Last season I redid all my calipers all parts still available and my right front was being a bitch to get out the pistons
I finally had to use plyers to get them out and the replacement pistons were around $80 so unless your calipers cylinders are badly
corroded or the caliper is cracked you should be good just to rebuild them
Balsawings
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100A Interstate, 1982 GL500 Interstate

Post by Balsawings »

Don't be afraid to take the caliper apart. I just rebuilt the brakes on my dads '82 Interstate. The calipers on yours (I believe) are two piston calipers. I have the same calipers on my '82 SilverWing. Finding a new caliper for a 39 year old bike would be a one in a million find. Best you could hope for is used and then of questionable condition.

It may seem intimidating at first but once you get in there it's not that bad. Go to the how-to articles at the top of this page and you will find the information you need for rebuilding the calipers, with step by step pictures. Plus you've hit the jack-pot of GoldWing knowledge right here on this forum. I recommend checking out Brakecrafters.com for the rebuild kit. You can get the kit with or without pistons, but if yours is locked up you'll probably need new pistons. You can take the caliper apart and check out the pistons before buying your kit so you know which kit to get.

Brakecrafters only sells original manufactured Nissin kits. They're not new old stock, they're new manufactured Nissin parts to fit original Nissin calipers.

If you run into problems you can come right here to ask questions or call Mark at Brakecrafters. No I'm not associated with Brakecrafters in any way but after my rebuild experience and the problems I had with my rear master cylinder I've had the opportunity to talk to Mark on several occasions. Great guy and very knowledgeable.

Oh and make sure you keep us up to date on your progress. We like to here about the success' of those we've helped and as they say "If a post doesn't include pictures, it never happened". :lol:

Bob C.
bruce swaybill
Motorcycle: .
1983 honda gl1100i interstate
2009 triumph bonneville t100

Post by bruce swaybill »

Your ‘83 had a front right caliper with 25mm pistons. It should have a 25 stamped on the front side of the caliper. ( Your other calipers have 32mm pistons and are stamped with 32. Plus, the ‘84-‘87 gl1200 has the same arrangement as your ’83. )

The ‘82 had 30mm pistons all around, stamped with a 30. This front right will work on the ‘83. I changed it in this manner. If you buy new pistons and/or seals, double check the diameters.

The ‘80 & ‘81 had single piston calipers of larger diameters. Not suitable for your ride.

My bike had been unlinked by a previous owner. He plugged the lines and installed the front brake lines and splitter from the ‘82. Thus the front right wouldn’t move with the rear brake pedal. That’s where my “brake stuff” journey began....

Buy the pistons and seals from a Honda dealer, they are still used and have been upgraded over the model years. The online sellers don’t keep these details straight. Actually that’s too kind. There just don’t know what they’re selling and are happy to take your money. If you try to save a few bucks with them, it will just give you headaches.

I WAS successful finding the correct caliper on eBay. Just make sure it has the correct size stamped on it. With any caliper or master cylinder you find on eBay, assume you will need to clean it up and rebuild it (new pistons and seals). If you skimp on this... well, it’s your safety at stake.

Good luck and keep in touch.
Bruce S.

Have a nice day! :)