"New" GL1100 1982

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
bonne
Motorcycle: Suzuki 1050 2020

"New" GL1100 1982

Post by bonne »

Hi.

I have always been having an eye for the Goldwings. I am able to buy a 1982 GL1100 - having seen it yet, but it is supposed to be in good condition. 60.000 Km (37.300 miles). What to look for specific for this model?

Regards, Lars.

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD

Re: "New" GL1100 1982

Post by winguyjo »

the mileage is nothing for a goldwing ... it's just broken in.

remove the battery cover and inspect the connector for the 3 yellow (stator) wires. make sure it doesn't look cooked. even if it looks ok it's a good idea to check battery voltage both at rest and while running and giving it throttle. check that the starter engages properly; if it doesn't it it sometimes an easy fix, sometimes not. also make sure that the clutch is engaging/disengaging properly. any of the foregoing could require engine removal to address the issue.

is the bike ready to go or has it been sitting ? if it has been sitting for a long time. then the carbs will likely have to be removed for dis-assembly and cleaning. a scary process if you have never done it. i have done it enough times that i kinda look forward to it. yes, i am weird. :mrgreen:
bonne

Post by bonne »

Thanks for your input. I will have it in mind when I am going to look at it... maybe the next weekend.

The bike has been having two owners. The latter who I am buying it from bought it in 2015 at 42.000 Km. So the last four years, it has been driving 20.000 Km. Two years ago it had a long trip with the current owner.

We have E5 petrol (and E85), but E10 is probably soon enforced. As far as I can Google, Goldwings from 82 are not certified for E10. Should I worry about that?

Regards, Lars.
bonne

Post by bonne »

So basically the stator should have no short-circuit to the ground and the resistance between all the wires should be the same?

Voltage on the battery should be 12V and rise with RPMs

The stator is the one that charges the battery?

Regards, Lars.
Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 »

Put the bike up on center stand. Rotate the tires and hit the brakes. See if the brakes release or hang up on both the front and back.

Check the dates on the tires to see how old they are. They will be coded week/year. 3013 30th week of 2013.
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Congrats on hopefully a soon to be yours GW. First thing, find a manual, preferably an OEM. Then do the maintenance you feel is required such as timing belts, shaft line lube, check the stator - believe Honda has the replacement stator connector still available - if the OEM connector has lasted this long a new one should last just as long, brake caliper rebuild, front/rear brake MC rebuild. These items will give you peace of mind and baseline the bike. Come up with a maintenance/work plan, get the parts required, and do the work. If there are electrical add ons such as driving lights and such, I'd recommend removing these from the OEM wiring harness, and installing an accessory fuse block that has an integrated power/ground bus that is powered through an automotive relay. The main reason for this is that you take the electrical system back to the OEM design, and if there is an electrical issue, you will be able to isolate the additions from the OEM factory design. A few thoughts. Good luck.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
winguyjo
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.

Post by winguyjo »

bonne wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:56 pm So basically the stator should have no short-circuit to the ground and the resistance between all the wires should be the same?

Voltage on the battery should be 12V and rise with RPMs

The stator is the one that charges the battery?

Regards, Lars.
yes to all those questions.
frodeem
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Aspencade

Post by frodeem »

winguyjo wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:50 pm the mileage is nothing for a goldwing ... it's just broken in.

remove the battery cover and inspect the connector for the 3 yellow (stator) wires. make sure it doesn't look cooked. even if it looks ok it's a good idea to check battery voltage both at rest and while running and giving it throttle. check that the starter engages properly; if it doesn't it it sometimes an easy fix, sometimes not. also make sure that the clutch is engaging/disengaging properly. any of the foregoing could require engine removal to address the issue.

is the bike ready to go or has it been sitting ? if it has been sitting for a long time. then the carbs will likely have to be removed for dis-assembly and cleaning. a scary process if you have never done it. i have done it enough times that i kinda look forward to it. yes, i am weird. :mrgreen:
I got the carbs cleaned on my bike but then it sat around for a couple years now, do you think I will have to get them cleaned again?
Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Post by Wilcoy02 »

How well does it run now?

Run some sea foam through the gas and tell us how it goes.
frodeem

Post by frodeem »

Wilcoy02 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:12 pm How well does it run now?

Run some sea foam through the gas and tell us how it goes.
It doesn't (it did right after the carb clean), and the bike sat out for a couple years.
winguyjo

Post by winguyjo »

"a couple of years" usually winds up being 5 or 6 ... but regardless, even two years sitting with fuel in the bowls is probably enough to require that the carbs be removed and thoroughly cleaned. you could try draining the bowls (moisture condenses and ends up at the bottom) and see if it starts. because of the mechanical fuel pump it will take a bit of cranking for the bowls to re-fill so some starting fluid sprayed into the intake can help.
frodeem

Post by frodeem »

winguyjo wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:05 pm "a couple of years" usually winds up being 5 or 6 ... but regardless, even two years sitting with fuel in the bowls is probably enough to require that the carbs be removed and thoroughly cleaned. you could try draining the bowls (moisture condenses and ends up at the bottom) and see if it starts. because of the mechanical fuel pump it will take a bit of cranking for the bowls to re-fill so some starting fluid sprayed into the intake can help.
Sounds good, thanks. I will try to drain the bowls first.

In this case couple years actually means 18-20 months.
winguyjo

Post by winguyjo »

in that case, you have a decent chance.

i would ...

have a fully charged or, better yet, new battery;
remove and clean all battery, starter, starter solenoid connections;
spray a bit of wd40 or some other lube into the cylinders and crank it over before actually attempting to start;
inspect, clean and gap all spark plugs;
check oil level and inspect it to make sure that there is no gas present;
if you dont know the age of the timing belts, replace them;
inspect air filter/air box to make sure rodents haven't left a bunch of debris there.

good luck.
bonne

Post by bonne »

winguyjo wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:50 pm the mileage is nothing for a goldwing ... it's just broken in.

Now I have tried it. it seems in overall good condition. except:

1) There is a Volt meter on the dash. it says slightly above 12V regardless of the RPMs. It has a total new battery. Yellow cables seems healthy.

2) The front end wobbles in a way that it feels unsafe to drive.

I told the seller about my findings. he agreed upon the wobbeling, but said it might be the tires.

Regarding the charging, he refused any faults.
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Check the voltage at the battery. The installed voltmeters can be off quite a bit. Check the stator wire connector. Make sure it is good and clean. Dirt/corrosion are the main reason for this connector overheating. I would recommend taking the pins out of the connector, give a good wire brushing, and put back together. If the connector looks "iffy", there are lots of good high amp connectors available as replacements, don't always have to remove the connector and solder the wires.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
frodeem

Post by frodeem »

winguyjo wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:31 pm in that case, you have a decent chance.

i would ...

have a fully charged or, better yet, new battery;
remove and clean all battery, starter, starter solenoid connections;
spray a bit of wd40 or some other lube into the cylinders and crank it over before actually attempting to start;
inspect, clean and gap all spark plugs;
check oil level and inspect it to make sure that there is no gas present;
if you dont know the age of the timing belts, replace them;
inspect air filter/air box to make sure rodents haven't left a bunch of debris there.

good luck.

Thank you sir. Timing belts are newly installed. Thanks for the tip on checking the air filter I wouldn't have thought about that.
LittleGoldy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100, 1982 GL100 Aspencade (parts bike, ugh got shafted on ebay) 1983 XJ750 Seca Sold, 2003 Kawasaki ZX1R Sold, 1980 GS750E Sold, 1973 Kawasaki H1 Triple 500 (first bike ever) Sold

Post by LittleGoldy »

The 82 Wing has removable idle jets for easy cleaning (80-81 were pressed in and not removable easily). The front forks do not have the damper actuators on the forks so less to stress about on that. Overall, the mileage is minimal for a wing, and can last a long time. My recommendation for winter storage is to use NON-Ethanol fuel mixed with Fuel stabilizer and make sure to run the bike at least 5-10 mins before storage so it gets throughout the fuel system. Come Springtime she will fire right up (with choke engaged, but, I typically turn the bike over without starting to get oil in all the right places. Then a spray of starter fluid with choke engaged and she fires right up). Good Luck. The only bad issues would be ones whereby removing the engine to repair something.......i.e. Stator, Starter Clutch, so make sure she is charging and the starter engages freely.
You can do anything, but not everything.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. :ugeek:
PhotoDoctor
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Standard and several GL650s , few GL500s

Post by PhotoDoctor »

If you have good mechanical skills a older bike like this is great - if you have to take it to a repair shop then a 40 year old bike can get really expensive. I currently own several old bikes and one of them is a 1983 GL1100 - a rusty gas tank will dirty up a clean set of carbs in short order and a clean tank is the first thing I would look for.

Often a bike of this age needs tires, brakes, fork seals, carbs cleaned, and timing belt, to name a few - and it's a good idea to check all electrical connections and clean with a good cleaner. It can be a lot of work and if it's not a "hobby" that you like then you may want to pass. For me it's a hobby so I have several bikes and always have something to ride.
tmauney
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Post by tmauney »

PhotoDoctor is right. I purchased my GL1100 about 10 years ago. Back then I found a guy that was a master working on these older bikes. He passed away about 5 years ago so started taking it to Honda repair shop. For one, they don't like working on them and two, when they do...it's expensive! I still have a few one-off sources for carb rebuilds and the like but as stated, if it's not a hobby to work on it, you're better off getting something much newer. My biggest issues have been #1 by far, carbs getting dirty and out of sync. #2 is brakes...rebuilding calipers and master. #3 was mufflers...had holes in them that needed weld patching. The engine, electrical and transmission have been solid. The batteries will tend to go bad without a tender which is probably the case with any bike. Guessing the radio doesn't work. I found and bought a brand new Clarion head for it but it died within a week. Found out even if new, the transistors inside go out with age, regardless of use. Rear air shocks tend to slowly lose pressure but not a big deal. Front forks had to be recharged when I bought it. Over the years, I've had to put a lot of love into it and am actually ready to sell it for the very reason PhotoDoctor pointed out. I still don't have a garage and frankly, with the little time I have and few places to go for repairs, I'd rather be riding more than working on my bike. If you enjoy working on it, you'll love the bike! I'll certainly miss mine!
JB THEVENON
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by JB THEVENON »

I did the same in june last year : a GL1100A Aspencade 1982 with 54200 miles. The issue I had was that the rear shock absorbers were hitting bottom quite often. Otherwise this bike is very robust and allows you to do a lot of maintenance by yourself even with small culture in mechanics because there are many people who already did all kind of maintenance, repear, rebuild etc. You can have all the advices and insights you need. Old Goldwing users are really a kind of community.
Just a few things to consider : if your bike has been imported like mine, wheeles size and then tires are different from the ones we had in Europe. Mind if you use a book for European Goldwing (in fact USA made Goldwings but for European market). Also the maintenance period can be different. I saw differences between USA/Canada and French maintenance period (not big differences, but sill differences). You also will find discrepancies in wire colors between european documentation and your bike.
JB

my philosophy : To do is to be (Kant). To be is to do (Sartre), Do be do be do (Sinatra)