1982 GL1100 Aspencade Wont Start

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
bbcline1991
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

1982 GL1100 Aspencade Wont Start

Post by bbcline1991 »

Hello,

I bought a 1982 Honda GL1100 Aspencade today. The bike will not start.

The Solenoid clicks when the ignition switch is pushed and the starter seems fine as it is able to turn the motor. I just cant seem to get ignition.

I went to inspect the solenoid relay switch and the connector with the 4 female quick disconnects has melted due to corrosion on the red/white wire that goes to the regulator/rectifier.. If this wire from the solenoid relay switch to the regulator/rectifier is faulty, would this effect the spark on the plugs?

Thanks.

OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Re: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade Wont Start

Post by OldguyGlen »

Welcome to the site. There are knowledgeable, friendly riders on here to help. Here are a few comments to get you started..
Red/White wire to regulator is the link between the alternator and the battery. If it is an open circuit, the battery won't charge. If the battery is fully charged (able to turn the motor at a vigorous rate) the ignition should fire. If the indicator light (neutral, oil press, etc) work, then the 5 amp engine control fuse should be OK. So that leaves the Kill switch as a suspect. Try wriggling it on/off a few times. There are '80-'82 wiring diagrams available on line... do a search.
bbcline1991
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by bbcline1991 »

I got it up and running by replacing the wire to the rectifier, the bike idles but now dies under throttle. Any advice? Is this a carb issue?
OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen »

Not clear to me why that wire affected ignition. But I won't argue with success.
You have not shared much info about the history of this bike. Was it running when you bought it? If not, how long in storage. What maintenance history by the PO ?
Usually, long stored bikes have fuel / carb problems. But the first weakness is usually that it won't idle, as those orifices are very small. Your case of Idle OK, but dies on throttle could certainly also be carbs with other clogged, sticky components, or failed seals and diaphragms problems. Likely you need a complete carb rebuild. Also check timing belts, cooling items, drive line components, electrical connectors, and anything else an older bike might need to become a reliable daily driver. These bikes are worth the refurbishment effort as they are well designed and durable.