Front disc brake question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Front disc brake question

Post by LAB3 »

Last summer I traded for an 83 Interstate and am having trouble figuring out an issue with the front brakes. The pads that are on it are only worn at the bottom half (closest to the axle) side of the pads and the wear on the rotor suggests that I'm only using about 1/2 of the pad. The caliper mount appears to be in the correct spot according to the pictures I've seeing in my admittedly lame Clymer manual and I have verified that the rotors on it are the correct ones for my model. This leaves me with these ideas in mind: The bike is actually an Aspencade with the wrong rotors (unlikely, the rotor covers fit well) The rotor mount brackets are from an Aspencade (possible) I've somehow messed up something in assembly (possible) or lastly that TRAC system is stuck and has something to do with it (?) Does anyone have any insight on where I should go with this? I'm stumped!

It's difficult for a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Front disc brake question

Post by WingAdmin »

Usually this is because the caliper pins are binding. Instead of sliding, one of the caliper pins is binding up. That means one end of the caliper gets pressed into the rotor only, and you get uneven brake pad wear.

Pull the caliper off, separate the caliper housing from the bracket, and fully clean and polish the pins, then lubricate with brake grease and reassemble.

You might want to buy a set of seals first, as they are likely going to be trashed. And those usually come with a complete rebuild kit, so...maybe take the time to rebuild the caliper seeing as you have it apart anyway? :)
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Re: Front disc brake question

Post by LAB3 »

Thanks for the reply. Usually seems to work out that when I ask a question on a forum I end up figuring out what the problem is shortly after asking it. In this case we've both come to the same conclusion, caliper rebuild kit is on it's way!
It's difficult for a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.