83 GL1100 carb conversion

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Perie
Motorcycle: 1980

83 GL1100 carb conversion

Post by Perie »

Recently acquired 83 GL1100 with a carb conversion thought it would be a fun project has EMPI carb. I feel like the Three Stooges I ain’t getting No Where Fast!! Reading all I can find on the subject. It appears the jets are correct. It kinda runs, stalls out most times stopping unless working throttle. I’ve try tuning to the best of my limited ability. I know too many variables for an easy answer. I’m either looking at possible different carb or acquiring everything to put it back to a 4 carb setup. If anyone has advice or could direct me somewhere I would appreciate it.

LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Re: 83 GL1100 carb conversion

Post by LAB3 »

I'm running a single carb intake with an EMPI carb which is a knock off of the Pict 43-3 used on air cooled VW engines. I'll supply a link on how to tune which works! I'll also add that you need to make sure that the accelerator pump setting needs to be set at it's lowest setting i.e. squirting the least amount of gas when you twist the throttle. Be sure that you have the "High idle" set properly, this is the adjustment that sets the idle speed at full choke, there's a stop screw that goes up against the teeth of a stepped cam, you begin at the setting where it's at it's lowest setting. Also, you se in the video where he refers to the air cutoff valve. The guy who supplied my intake instructed me to pull that off and plug the hole where it screws in.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
It's difficult for a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
Perie

Post by Perie »

Thanks I will try this next warm day we have!!
Perie

Post by Perie »

Quick update....,After following this advice and some others in the forums bike is running much better. I think it’s still a bit on the rich side but I am leaving it alone until I can get some miles on the setup.