Hard/ not able to shift until started and Sometimes catches while starting

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Cm_sz
Motorcycle: 82gl1100 interstate

Hard/ not able to shift until started and Sometimes catches while starting

Post by Cm_sz »

The starter sometimes catches while starting (new good starter) and i have trouble shifting to neutral before the bike starts. This only ever occurs on the 1st startup of the day.

LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Re: Hard/ not able to shift until started and Sometimes catches while starting

Post by LAB3 »

The only thing that comes to mind is your motor oil being a bit too thick, especially this time of year. Make sure you have the proper weight oil in it and if so, you may want to try a different brand. Starting an "oil war" on which is "best" and why is the bane of almost all car and motorcycle repair forums so I'll leave my opinion to myself on this one. Just make sure it's the proper weight and avoid anything that says "friction reducing" since your clutch may want to slip with that type of oil in there.
It's difficult for a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
Cm_sz

Post by Cm_sz »

Okay ty. I run t4 rotella 15w 40. And i do beleive i am very slightly overfilled atm.
blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

What do you mean by "the starter sometimes catches while starting"?
Does the starter turn over every time? Does the starter engage the motor and turn it over every time? Does the starter keep running when you release the start button?

If you have trouble shifting to "N" when the bike is not running, try rocking forward or back a touch while trying to get it into "N"
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE
LAB3

Post by LAB3 »

Cm_sz wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:13 pm Okay ty. I run t4 rotella 15w 40. And i do beleive i am very slightly overfilled atm.
That's what I'm running and I ride year round in S.W. Missouri. I've got to park on a pretty steep slope and need to make sure I'm in neutral before backing in and parking due to not being able to rock it as bluepupher suggested. once it gets below 40 degrees it's darn right tough to turn the engine over due to clutch drag. That may be something you want to be aware of, putting it in neutral before shutting it down.
It's difficult for a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
Cm_sz

Post by Cm_sz »

blupupher wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:05 pm What do you mean by "the starter sometimes catches while starting"?
Does the starter turn over every time? Does the starter engage the motor and turn it over every time? Does the starter keep running when you release the start button?

If you have trouble shifting to "N" when the bike is not running, try rocking forward or back a touch while trying to get it into "N"
The real issue is the starter will turn like normal than abruptly stop. After it stops it usually dosent turn over with the next couple button presses but the starter still trues to activate. Once it hass started once for the day i NEVER have any issue restarting it or shifting.
LAB3

Post by LAB3 »

Does it make a whining sound ending with a slight grinding sound at the end when it doesn't catch?
Cm_sz

Post by Cm_sz »

LAB3 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:58 am Does it make a whining sound ending with a slight grinding sound at the end when it doesn't catch?
No it clunks to a stop than makes a slight hissing noise. Sometimes if i hold the starter it just feees up and than it isnt an issue the rest of the day once it actually cranks properly once.