Clarion II controller repair

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
JB THEVENON
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Clarion II controller repair

Post by JB THEVENON »

Hello

I got a malfunction of my radio Clarion II on a 1982 Aspencade. In this forum I found someone who made the good diagnosis and gave the technical solution, which is a single one. Some micro-switches end to fail after 39 years of good services and it is necessary to replace them. The best and sole solution is a micro switch from E-SWITCH TL59 serie. The TL59FF160Q (160Q means 160 grammes-force supported by the switch, you may also find TL59FF100Q). Digi-Key sell this component with the reference EG4566CT-ND.

Now my question : how to remove the old one without damaging the stripes.....my soldering iron has 2 powers : 3OW or 60W but I am afraid that even with the lower power, I am near to melt the stripes, and I must confess that electronics is not my highest competence (euphemism :) )

Did someone already realized this ?
Thanks for your help

Here attached the stripes on the radio controller in concern and the micro switch for repair
Attachments

my philosophy : To do is to be (Kant). To be is to do (Sartre), Do be do be do (Sinatra)
Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: Clarion II controller repair

Post by Wilcoy02 »

google sierra electronics
They are the only ones who still work on the Clarions.
E-mail them your question.
kwthom
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800

Post by kwthom »

Desoldering a printed circuit 'stripes' without damage typically involves some high-dollar professional-grade equipment to do this reliably.

My suggestion would be to find a tool like the one shown in this video.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Essentially, you have to apply a suction to the molten solder before the heat begins to attack the printed circuit 'stripes'.

Do NOT be in such a rush that you DO damage those traces. Those will be impossible to replace.

Good luck!
• "If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so nobody can!" ● Wait...I no longer have to fix it - I'm retired! :lol: ● Ken (IBA#50030) ● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● My blog
the_big_h
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1984 VF1100S Sabre

Post by the_big_h »

Practice and experience helps.
A temperature-controlled soldering iron is very helpful - they are not too much money on Amazon or ebay. Even the cheap ones are better than a non-temperature-controlled iron.
If accessible, you can use a dremel to cut the old switch apart, so you only have to remove one pin at a time. Much easier to unsolder one at a time, instead of having to apply enough heat to remove all 4 at once.
Sometimes it's helpful to add some new solder - counterintuitive, but sometimes the additional solder (or the flux?) makes the old solder work easier.
Once you have the old switch removed, desoldering braid works well to remove the old solder and clear the holes.
And if worst comes to worst, it's NOT impossible to repair the old traces - just use a bit of 30-gauge wire to go from the pin to where the trace ends up - or even just scratch the green coating off, and solder the wire to the trace.
This old electronics does not use multi-layer boards, you can see all the traces and where they go.
JB THEVENON

Post by JB THEVENON »

Thank you to all of you for sharing your advices and experience.
The saw on the forum that Sierra Electronics could have been a solution but I live in France and shipping the head unit could be expensive event more that the repair itself.
I'll buy a temperature controller soldering, a pump and a desoldering braid and I'll try
thanks again.
JB
my philosophy : To do is to be (Kant). To be is to do (Sartre), Do be do be do (Sinatra)
Joneszy
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade Stripped
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"
1979 Suzuki GS850(current project)

Post by Joneszy »

One other thought. Many folks have taken off their fairings to strip their bikes and have good working clarion controllers for sale. I am one of those people but don't know what shipping would be to get it across the pond, might be prohibitive . Would be happy to get $50 plus shipping. Also you can check on Ebay there are a few listed for sale there. I am not trying to grab a sale and you might find one in your corner of the world that wasn't too expensive.
JB THEVENON

Post by JB THEVENON »

could be interesting. I need to check the weight and to ask for shipping cost from Canada to France. Are you sure it is a Clarion type II head unit ?
Joneszy
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"

Post by Joneszy »

It is a clarion 11 taken from a 1983 goldwing aspencade that I stripped down to bare bike. I no longer have a use for the radio. Send me a PM and include your email address and I will send you a pic or two of the unit.
Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate
1983 1100a Aspencade

Post by Chewy »

Joneszy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:58 pm It is a clarion 11 taken from a 1983 goldwing aspencade that I stripped down to bare bike. I no longer have a use for the radio. Send me a PM and include your email address and I will send you a pic or two of the unit.
do you have the cb, radio , amplifier and wiring still? if so, i am interested in it.
JB THEVENON

Post by JB THEVENON »

I let Joneszy answering. I got his head unit which works well on my 1982 bike and then solved my issue. You should send him a request message diretly
jb
Joneszy
1999 Valkyrie CT
1978 Gl1000 "Trickster"

Post by Joneszy »

Chewy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:31 pm
Joneszy wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:58 pm It is a clarion 11 taken from a 1983 goldwing aspencade that I stripped down to bare bike. I no longer have a use for the radio. Send me a PM and include your email address and I will send you a pic or two of the unit.
do you have the cb, radio , amplifier and wiring still? if so, i am interested in it.
Sent a PM
Chewy
Motorcycle: 1980 1100i Interstate
1983 1100a Aspencade

Post by Chewy »

Joneszy wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:57 am
Chewy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:31 pm
Sent a PM
i sent you one as well.