GL1100 Carb Rebuild

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
h13man
Motorcycle: 99' GL1500C Valkyrie

GL1100 Carb Rebuild

Post by h13man »

Getting ready to go thru the carbs on a 83' GL1100. I need some feedback on the Ultimate brand rebuild kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303942059404

hrobinson
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100

Re: GL1100 Carb Rebuild

Post by hrobinson »

h13man:

This is by far the BEST kit you can buy for your GL-1100. Get the manual as well because there are loads of tip you need to watch out for when rebuilding these.

https://www.randakks.com/motorcycles/Ho ... -kits.html

The parts are all quality parts to the original Honda specifications. if there ever was an OEM rebuild kit, this one from Randakks is the one to buy. It is expensive but you get what you pay for.

A word of caution: DO NOT USE the carberator DIP that is sold in auto stores, it will ruin the felts for the throttle valves. This will be a two weekend job for sure and have a good air compressor, you will need it to test to make sure all the passages are clear. I bought an ultrasonic cleaner to take care of all the cleaning. I bought a special cleaning solution that works very well with vintage carbs. My post is somewhere in this forum and it would be about 3 or 4 years old.

I cant stress enough that you NEED TO TAKE YOUR TIME with these carbs or you will end up with leaks and performance problems. You will also need a nanometer to balance all 4 carbs.
42kDraven
Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki GSX-650F <Gabby> (Sold)
1982 GL1100 <Helena>

Post by 42kDraven »

hrobinson wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:20 pm h13man:

This is by far the BEST kit you can buy for your GL-1100. Get the manual as well because there are loads of tip you need to watch out for when rebuilding these.

The parts are all quality parts to the original Honda specifications. if there ever was an OEM rebuild kit, this one from Randakks is the one to buy. It is expensive but you get what you pay for.
The only problem that I've found with this kit is that it hasn't been in stock with Randakk's in the year + that I've had my '82. That and their customer service never responds to any inquiries about when they might be back. I've been disappointed personally with them. I've taken to getting my parts from either my local bike shop or 4into1.com -That being said, I still haven't picked up their ultimate carb rebuild kit as I haven't seen any reviews for it, and I asked about it a couple times here and have gotten crickets. Good luck in your quest.
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Post by LAB3 »

hrobinson wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:20 pm h13man:

I've owned my 'Wing for close to a year now and have yet to see those kits "In Stock" on the Randakks site.
h13man
Motorcycle: 99' GL1500C Valkyrie

Post by h13man »

Thank you folk for the replies. Still extracting the carbs. Hope to finish removal this week and get them home on the bench. So far all is going good as the bike is still factory stock 83' with 40,000 mi. It's hard to believe that folk let carbed bikes sit waaay to long when a simple once a month startup will go along way.