Looking for advice, tips and resources for restoring a 1982 Honda GL1100I. Is it even possible?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
HazelGrace
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Looking for advice, tips and resources for restoring a 1982 Honda GL1100I. Is it even possible?

Post by HazelGrace »

Hello!

I am in possession of a 1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate that is in desperate need of some TLC. I would love to get this thing restored and riding down the road within the next year or two. However, I've never worked on a motorcycle to this extent and would like some help. First, some background.

I have been riding for about 3 years now. I currently ride a 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S that is my commuter to and from work (when weather permits). Due to the cost savings involved, I quickly started doing my own maintenance and service whenever I could unless it was something I don't have the means to do. Recently, I had the opportunity to pick up this Goldwing at no cost from a relative's estate. Working on my own motorcycle is always something I have looked forward to as it gave me a sense of accomplishment when it was freshly washed, serviced and ready for the road so this opportunity was something I didn't want to pass up. My first question stems from the fact that this motorcycle does not have a title or keys. Is restoring this to a running, road legal bike even possible?

If I haven't bitten off more than I can chew and this whole pipe dream is possible, I definitely would appreciate some advice! I have the OEM manual and Clymer manual to get me familiar with the ins and outs of this bike. As you can see in the photo, there are no fairings or trunk you would typically see on an Interstate model. I plan on restoring this as a "Naked" Goldwing currently. Do you have any advice, tips or resources that will help someone as new as me to bike building get started? Hey, I'd even accept being called an idiot if it turns out that this is a lost cause. I appreciate your time!

Thanks

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Looking for advice, tips and resources for restoring a 1982 Honda GL1100I. Is it even possible?

Post by Rambozo »

HazelGrace wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:15 pm As you can see in the photo, there are no fairings or trunk you would typically see on an Interstate model.
What photo?
Do you have any advice, tips or resources that will help someone as new as me to bike building get started?
Run away!
Based on what you have said, this is probably not a good idea. If it is not in good shape you can expect to spend way more than the bike is worth. Not to mention that many parts are getting scarce.
Of course if cost is no issue, anything can be restored.
Jhurt
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100A

Re: Looking for advice, tips and resources for restoring a 1982 Honda GL1100I. Is it even possible?

Post by Jhurt »

New to this particular but not to bikes or restoring them. I can tell you it's a labor of love and with Goldwings especially you can have more into it than its worth real fast. Look at a primo, well-cared for example same model as yours that needs nothing and see what its selling for. Will your project cost more than that? Maybe you don't even care what it costs if you have some connection to it that makes it important to you? Parts are a separate issue. I restored a 1975 Suzuki RM125M...very rare bike. It took 2 years to find the rear lower chain guide, nearly as long to find an NOS rear brake cable.
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Post by LAB3 »

First thing you need to sort out is the title issue. If/when you get to that point follow the rest of the advice that's already been given. Parts really aren't that scary an issue, plenty of sources out there if you're willing to spend the money to get them.
JoBoy68
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GoldWing GL 1100 Interstate

Post by JoBoy68 »

I restored a 1983 GL1100 that had sat for about 10 years #1 a bike this old you have to be able to work on it your self a professional
Honda or any motorcycle mechanic the labor would cost you a fortune, I have been a Mechanic my whole adult life and I had a friend helping me who is also a Mechanic and Electronics guy we had a few electrical issues I would have never figured out myself the biggest problem was you do not know what all the problems are, you fix one thing then you find another problem and on it goes Tires, Fuel petcock, new fuel lines, and filter, rebuild carburetors and drop-down gauges not included in carb kit, new full pump new ignition switch and coils. Clearing blocked brake lines Rebuild front and rear master cylinders all brake calipers, replace timing belts, rebuild front forks replace Pulse Generator and gas tank. Most of this was done in my garage some of it popped up after I got it on the road and then you have to factor in waiting on parts. This is the third season the bike is back on the road in March I had to replace the timing belt tensioners which are no longer available so I had to do a Hack, This week I replaced the Tachometer cable because I was getting a whining noise but it turned out to be the Tachometer itself so I took it out opened it up cleaned and lubed, put it back in
now it is nice and quiet and working properly, today I put in new speakers for the radio. and this is not the whole list of everything that was done SO I hope this gives you an Idea on restoring an old bike you may want to take the RUN advice
42kDraven
Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki GSX-650F <Gabby> (Sold)
1982 GL1100 <Helena>

Post by 42kDraven »

IMO, as long as the cost isn't completely radical, it's worth at the very least doing the research and figuring out what can and can't be done. I also have an '82 naked wing, and I love it. I lucked out as it was a runner when I got it, and had to just do maintenance and general cleanup, but it is a wonderful bike. I've never ridden a Vulcan like you have, or any other cruiser tbh, but I used to ride an '08 GSX 650F. It felt more natural riding the 'wing in the first 20 minutes I was on it than in the years I spent on the Suzuki. Wings really are a creature of amazing engineering. As has been said before, they're also labors of love. I wish you luck whichever route you pick, and look forward to seeing pictures if you go forward.
N2PPN
Motorcycle: Me on my 1981 GL1100 at Jones Beach in 1984

Post by N2PPN »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2248

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Rich
Don't Worry,
Ride Happy!
OldguyGlen
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD/Vetters
1966 Honda 90

Post by OldguyGlen »

I restored a "barn find" 1980 GL1100 (Std w/ Vetters) and am now starting my 3rd summer with her. It had not run in 10-12 years, with carbs completely plugged. I replaced everything "soft"... fuel lines, hoses, timing belts, brake masters & calipers, etc.

See build post... viewtopic.php?p=283984#p283984

Bike had low miles (20200), and I knew the owner, so I paid a bit more for it than I might have otherwise negotiated.. $500. I paid another $1050 for parts, incl tires. Spend many, many hours over a winter season, in my basement, doing all labor myself. Treated it like a hobby activity, and wanted to get familiar with it for future maintenance. I am handy with tools and mechanical things. So I now have $1550 invested. I could probably sell it for $2200, making about $1/hr for my labor. I could have bought a running bike for $1600- $2000.
But I have a "like new", classic bike, with everything in perfect order, that I have now been intimate with, and formed a lasting bond with. I hope to enjoy my labor of love for the rest of my riding career and I do not regret doing the project. By the way, I am now 79 (and a half) years old.