Tachometer screaming like a banshee

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
JoBoy68
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GoldWing GL 1100 Interstate

Tachometer screaming like a banshee

Post by JoBoy68 »

FIX found on youtube

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

JoBoy68

Re: Tachometer screaming like a banshee

Post by JoBoy68 »

Ok, somewhere on these threads. I saw people had lubed their noisy Tachometers and then they never worked again. I had two Tachometers and the one I wanted to put on the bike had a light bulb rattling around inside it, so I took it apart as in the video and lubed it. Was a bitch to get the ring off and back on but it worked. Just for the hell of it, I sprayed some WD 40 in the cable hole of the Noisy Tachometer let it sit for an hour then turned it upside down to drain any excess WD 40 out. I tapped the cable end of the tachometer on a white rag and a lot of black stuff fell out, the fairing was still off so I hooked up the noisy tachometer and it worked totally fine and made no noise.
42kDraven
Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki GSX-650F <Gabby> (Sold)
1982 GL1100 <Helena>

Post by 42kDraven »

WD in the cable hole of the tach itself? Or down the sleeve of the tach cable? I just pulled mine apart to reattach the face (it was also screaming like mad though) while I've got some other things apart this would be a good thing to explore.... Thanks!
JoBoy68

Post by JoBoy68 »

Apart , I did the WD 40 from the inside on the shaft going to the cable hook up,The other one together ( which is the one that was screaming ) I sat it upside down and sprayed the WD 40 directly into the cable hole let it set awhile then turned it over to drain any excess WD 40 and I have cable lube so I did the cable also
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Post by LAB3 »

JoBoy68 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:46 pm Apart , I did the WD 40 from the inside on the shaft going to the cable hook up,The other one together ( which is the one that was screaming ) I sat it upside down and sprayed the WD 40 directly into the cable hole let it set awhile then turned it over to drain any excess WD 40 and I have cable lube so I did the cable also
I've done that more than twice over the years with different bikes and it works! The only thing to add is to make sure you don't hold it or set it face down or you're liable to get it on the face of the gauge.
It's difficult for a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
bruce swaybill
Motorcycle: .
1983 honda gl1100i interstate
2009 triumph bonneville t100

Post by bruce swaybill »

Thanks for the video. Unfortunately, it fails to show the actual lubing process and the location where it was applied. I have lubed the spinning cable receiver externally before but I am curious about a better solution.
Can you illustrate the location where you added lubed?

Thanks again.
Bruce S.
Have a nice day! :)
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Post by LAB3 »

bruce swaybill wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:28 pm Thanks for the video. Unfortunately, it fails to show the actual lubing process and the location where it was applied. I have lubed the spinning cable receiver externally before but I am curious about a better solution.
Can you illustrate the location where you added lubed?

Thanks again.
Bruce S.
Hold the speedo/tach with the face up, use the straw that comes with WD-40 or similar and shoot it into the hole where the cable enters it.
It's difficult for a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.
bruce swaybill
Motorcycle: .
1983 honda gl1100i interstate
2009 triumph bonneville t100

Post by bruce swaybill »

Thanks. That’s the cable receiver I mentioned. I have held it In the opposite orientation (receiver straight up) and lubed the inside square hole and the outside diametrical gap clearance to housing. But I did not take it apart to do this. This is accessible from the outside. Was the disassembly really necessary?

Thanks again.
Bruce S.
Have a nice day! :)
42kDraven
Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki GSX-650F <Gabby> (Sold)
1982 GL1100 <Helena>

Post by 42kDraven »

bruce swaybill wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:44 pm Thanks. That’s the cable receiver I mentioned. I have held it In the opposite orientation (receiver straight up) and lubed the inside square hole and the outside diametrical gap clearance to housing. But I did not take it apart to do this. This is accessible from the outside. Was the disassembly really necessary?

Thanks again.
Bruce S.
Mine was only apart because I had it disassembled for another reason. The WD40 trick worked a treat though. No issues since then. At least, none related to the tach.