rider comfort

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Skeldog
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

rider comfort

Post by Skeldog »

well I just completed a 140 miole run on my 82 model, I put the flip over backrest on I got with it- and with my long legs even at it's most rearward setting I end up being pretty uncomfortable and sitting on things that should'nt be sat on with my feet on the pegs. I did mount a set of forward pegs on some split bars that clamp to the crash bars and though they are mounted as low and forward as I can , it forces my feet so far apart and high it's not comfortable. may have to do with having broke my pelvis a few years ago and I'm not as flexible as I was in my 60's. other than that the old bike cruises fine. I ve considered removing the crash bars completely and trying to fabricate some pegs close in and just forward of the cam covers. anyone had success with such an idea?

LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Re: rider comfort

Post by LAB3 »

When I traded my old bike for my goldwing the front pegs had been replaced with a plain Jane set of pegs. I'm also quite tall and found the peg position to be uncomfortable, the stock pegs move them about 3" further forward. When I finally got a reasonably priced set of pegs the comfort changed dramatically but opened up another problem, my size 14's have a rough time making it to the ground with the engine guards getting in the way. Long and short of it, you might want to see if you have the right pegs on there. Judging by the price and how fast they get bought up it seems a lot of people ditched them at one time or another.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

You might have a look at Mick-O-Pegs. They address the wide and high issue. While they only go back as far as GL1200, you could probably fabricate something to adapt or do something like them for your 1100.
https://www.ridingiswonderful.com/

Removing the crash guards means at least a broken valve cover or worse from even something like a driveway drop. Not sure that is the best option.
Skeldog
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

Post by Skeldog »

It wasn't hard to get the engine guards off, but I didn't find a good way to fabricate what I thought I could so it would be any better. so they're back on. I ordered a set of aftermarket pegs to experiment with. if they don't help I'll just have to ride it like it was built or swap it for something narrower. raised the handlebar angle some today and it seemed to be a little more comfortable than the previous owner had them. it's still an experiment to see what fits best. at least it's runniong well. I probably should'nt say that- may jinx myself