How to connect FHO 12AA voltage regulator to gl1100?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
Artur POLSKA
Motorcycle: GL 1100 Interstate 1980

How to connect FHO 12AA voltage regulator to gl1100?

Post by Artur POLSKA »

I would like to connect a new regulator in place of the old OEM. The original one has eight wires and the new FHO12AA has six (the first socket: three pins that I connect to the alternator, the second socket - two pins (+) and (-). I do not know where I should connect the second one the plug, that is, to which wires in the motorcycle installation. Maybe some of you would have a diagram? I would be very grateful for your help.
My e-mail:
artik77@o2.pl
Sorry for my English, I hope you understood what I meant... :-)

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: How to connect FHO 12AA voltage regulator to gl1100?

Post by Rambozo »

Those go to the battery. You should have a fuse or circuit breaker in the + line between the regulator and the battery.
Artur POLSKA

Post by Artur POLSKA »

I understand, but what about the other wires? I mean those from the electric installation of the motorcycle, why are there eight of them?
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

The Honda system was different, so it was wired slightly differently. The three wires to the stator are the same. Then the two red/white wires provided the output. Those wires are connected together in the harness, so that is really only one wire +. Then there are two green ground wires again connected together in the harness so again really one wire -. Honda probable used two so they didn't have to use a larger wire. The last is the black sense wire that turned the unit on and off and set the battery voltage. That function is built into your new regulator. While you could reuse some of the Honda wiring, I would advice you to install new 10 awg (6mm²) wires right to the battery. Cut and seal the old wires, or remove them.

Artur POLSKA

Post by Artur POLSKA »

GREAT! Thank you very much for your answer, now I know what and how to do it, and how to connect it, but most of all I know what the other cables are for, because I really thought about it the most.